Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crawled under my car today to fix a loose bolt on my exhaust and saw this. I have idea what is. After I fixed my exhaust this thing start sounding like a small foghorn at random times.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Re: What is this?

It should be connected from your h-pipe to the smog pump.
+1

The end of the tube is shinny showing where it was connected. It looks like you lost part of the tube due to vibration?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aegischief said:
It should be connected from your h-pipe to the smog pump.
Can it be connected to anywhere on the pipe?

Thanks for the help. I'm new troubleshooting problems so this is all new to me.

·
Registered
254 Posts

a Catted H-pipe should have an inlet on it to connect it If i am not mistaken. If you're not worried about smog then you can remove the whole thing

·
Banned
1,656 Posts
Matt95GT said:
Can it be connected to anywhere on the pipe?

Thanks for the help. I'm new troubleshooting problems so this is all new to me.
If you don't have cats anymore it no longer serves the purpose of pumping air to the cats..if it's making noise the easiest thing to do is run a shorter belt and bypass the smog pump. it'll also free up couple horsies ;)
oh and if you don't have cats and hook it up you may get some popping in the exhaust kinda like a small backfire.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
XXSTEVEO66 said:
If you don't have cats anymore it no longer serves the purpose of pumping air to the cats..if it's making noise the easiest thing to do is run a shorter belt and bypass the smog pump. it'll also free up couple horsies ;)
oh and if you don't have cats and hook it up you may get some popping in the exhaust kinda like a small backfire.
No cats... If I change the belt and bypass the smog pump would would that fail an emissions test for state inspection?

·
Registered
492 Posts
If you don't have any cats you are going to fail an emissions test. Easiest thing to do is block off the tube by bending it over or plugging it off.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts

If you don't have any cats you are going to fail an emissions test. Easiest thing to do is block off the tube by bending it over or plugging it off.
Yes, but he won't pass emissions inspections if it is not hooked up and you wouldn't want to just block it without disabling the pump either. :good:

·
Registered
254 Posts

You can leave your smog pump in and just unplug everything from it, but like the guys said you won't pass smog. but if you don't have cats, you automatically fail regardless. :p

·
Registered
254 Posts
Any time buddy :)

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Depends on the state in NC if its 1997 or older no emissioins test is required

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MC770 said:
Depends on the state in NC if its 1997 or older no emissioins test is required
Here in Texas we do emission test by county. More populated counties do emissions testing no matter what. Less populated counties don't do emissions on 98 or newer.

Either way I'll fail. I don't have cats but I have until next march to get it fixed.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Eh you can just find a hookup and get a smog cert ;) nobody wants cats anyway haha

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Here in Texas we do emission test by county. More populated counties do emissions testing no matter what. Less populated counties don't do emissions on 98 or newer.

Either way I'll fail. I don't have cats but I have until next march to get it fixed.
Thats a pretty interesting way of doing the testing haha I'd be out of luck if we did it that way here in NC

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
Matt95GT said:

That's how indiana is. The way they figure out which counties do smog is by the amount of pollution in the area. We have a lot of big steel mills in my area, so the counties in that area do smog. But the next counties over don't. So I use someone else's address to get by the system.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts