• Supercharger

• NOS

• Stick to N/A

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, a few months ago I purchased a 2002 Mustang GT with about 121,000 miles on it. Id love to make it faster, and I have already most, if not all bolt on power mods. I was thinking about boosting it but I am not sure if it is worth it with this kind of mileage. If I do boost it, will it last for much longer? It is my daily, but I really want to add a supercharger kit or Turbo charger kit. I was thinking about doing NOS but really am not to sure about the practicality and constant fill ups I will have to do. What do you guys think? Are cams a better option? Or is boosting it not so bad of an idea? If so, which method should I choose?

·
Registered
469 Posts
You could boost it, if the engine and trans run good and you know the car is healthy then I wouldnt worry about the mileage. maybe do a compression test if your worried. Best bet would be to add a supercharger and run 8 lbs or so. I would run a centrifugal with an intercooler and some good injectors and pump. I'd keep it around 400 whp or so and if you daily it dont beat it up too much I think itll live a while

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could boost it, if the engine and trans run good and you know the car is healthy then I wouldnt worry about the mileage. maybe do a compression test if your worried. Best bet would be to add a supercharger and run 8 lbs or so. I would run a centrifugal with an intercooler and some good injectors and pump. I'd keep it around 400 whp or so and if you daily it dont beat it up too much I think itll live a while

Yeah that was what I was thinking was best. Would I have to run 93 or 91 octane? Right now I'm just running 87.

·
Registered
469 Posts
93 octane at the very minimum imo. I run 93 with boostane fuel additive in my Paxton '11

·
Registered
469 Posts
if all you have is 91 it will have to suffice unless you add an additive

·
Premium Member
6,874 Posts
I’d leave it alone.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I cammed my 99 over 10 years ago. To be perfectly honest, the install and cost was not that much less than a procharger (at the time). I just really wanted the car to have that lopey old school V8 sound. Still enjoy it. However, the power it added was laughable. I haven't had it dynoed but based on magazines running the same mods, It would be at around 300 rwhp, which makes sense. After the install and only on a 93 tune, I was able to compete with my buddies and their TAs and Z28s. If I had gone with a procharger, I'd have been much much faster. It's your call. All said and done, the supercharger install is probably simpler, if you are working in your parking lot/garage (I don't like messing with cams, gears, and timing on ohc engines).

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I cammed my 99 over 10 years ago. To be perfectly honest, the install and cost was not that much less than a procharger (at the time). I just really wanted the car to have that lopey old school V8 sound. Still enjoy it. However, the power it added was laughable. I haven't had it dynoed but based on magazines running the same mods, It would be at around 300 rwhp, which makes sense. After the install and only on a 93 tune, I was able to compete with my buddies and their TAs and Z28s. If I had gone with a procharger, I'd have been much much faster. It's your call. All said and done, the supercharger install is probably simpler, if you are working in your parking lot/garage (I don't like messing with cams, gears, and timing on ohc engines).

Yea it seems like blower is probably the best way to go for power, and I think if I just run like 8lbs of boost it will be reliable and fun power. But how were your cams so expensive? I understand that you need injectors and some other things, but it seems like it wouldn't add up to be as much as a whole supercharger kit. I'm not trying to say you baught overly expensive cams, I'm just trying to understand why the price was so high.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Cams, cam gears, springs, retainers, rocker arms. Then you might want to keep going an either port your heads and intake and/or at least get a bigger throttle body. So I mean, it ends up kinda costly for only like 30 more rwhp than you would have with just your full bolt on and tune stuff. I don't know man. If I had to do it over, I wouldve gotten a tuner, a new exhaust, and a blower. Like I said, I love the sound and it's great. Even if I got a blower now, I'd still need to put more money in my internals if I'd ever want to push it to its full potential.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts