Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2008 mustang convertible V6 I'm using now 87 octane, I was wondering if I should be upgrading to 91 octane? And what's the deferent?

·
ME Bloodhound
14,699 Posts
You will be faster if you run a higher octane... Because your wallet will be lighter (had to crack that joke), thats about it unless you are tuned for a higher octane. The newer Mustangs computers are able to adjust to the different octanes and make more power on their own, i don't know if your model has it though. I would just run 87 unless you get a tune for higher.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
The 4.0 only benefits from higher octane if you are tuned for it. The car doesn' t run any better or cleaner with higher octane. Many studies have borne this out and there is a long thread on it. In fact, because higher octane burns slower, if the car isn't tuned for it you may cause more deposits.

Despite the facts there are people who will swear their car is different and runs better, cleaner, with much better MPG to justify their tossing money away.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Perform your own test and post on it. I'd like to see it. Fill up with 87 and give us the price and mpg and how the car feels to you. Then do the 91-93 with the same info.

·
Banned
610 Posts
You will be faster if you run a higher octane... Because your wallet will be lighter (had to crack that joke), thats about it unless you are tuned for a higher octane. The newer Mustangs computers are able to adjust to the different octanes and make more power on their own, i don't know if your model has it though. I would just run 87 unless you get a tune for higher.
Lol this jokes cracks me up all the time +1

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was wondering the same thing except I'm I'm tuned for 93 but the gas station by my work has cam 2 race gas it's like a 107 octane I dident know if it would hurt my car or make any diffrence In power

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had the same question when I got my car but I did some tests with the 87 and 93 oct for mpg, didn't see any difference... After I got a tuner then I could see the difference but it wasn't much, like 0.4 mpg. Plus the extra power u get from the tuner is a lot of fun! The 93 is good to use sometimes because of the cleaners and additives, but using it all the time may build deposits and might damage ur o2 sensor on the long run

·
Registered
344 Posts
I only run high test.

I don't have a tune for it.

It's a personal preference for me, and I like the results. I DO show better feul economy on 91-93 octane, but it's a placebo effect - the more expensive the gas, the lighter I am on the throttle.

I will always run higher octane fuels. I won't defend it to you or anyone else because it's my money and my car. However, if I'm ever asked, I'll advocate higher octane gas over the cheap-o **** in the same way that if you ask me, "Should I eat McDonalds or have a fresh salad with chicken and cottage cheese?" I won't tell you to go put toxins in your body.

So there.

LOL.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts