Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just finished ripping apart a '90 5.0 Ford motor and the lifters that came in the motor are not roller lifters like I thought they were going to be, instead...they are flat on the bottom...I've looked through the Ford Racing books, (they are Ford Racing lifters)...and I found lifters that look identical to them, but they are listed as "Anti-Pump Up Lifters"...but the lifters I have do have a "springy" effect when I push them in which leads me to believe that they might not be "Anti-Pump"....the reason I'm asking is because I'm looking to sell these lifters because I have converted to roller lifters, but I don't know what the hell these things are called to go about selling them...

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
In Modern cars all lifters are hydraulic. In the 60's and early 70's there were some cars with mechanical lifters but not many. Solid lifters required constant valve adjustments and were very noisy. Hydraulic lifters self adjust when properly set. Now saying that if the engine was not stock someone could have installed solid lifters and cam. Anti-pump up lifters is most likely a marketing name given to a specific lifter that prevents Anti-pump up or Float that is common with hydraulic lifters at very high RPM's

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Back when I was a teenager the hot rodders called them "solid lifters", and yes, they were always adjusting their valves. I didn't want any part of them. I had a Crower cam with what they called 8K plus high rev hydraulic lifters, might have been something on the order of the lifters you are talking about here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts