Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 GT vin X. A buddy has a 2006 VIN W Crown Vic with Interceptor. Will this fit the 1998 GT? I'm not concerned swapping cosmetics, more concerned about sensors plugging up etc.... Thanks

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
Yes. It will work.
You will need to swap some of the Mustang related parts from your existing engine, and purchase a new Ford Performance intake manifold for a 99-04 Mustang.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for reply, the intake is a must replace? just curious the difference is, because the intake he has on the GT is brand new. Just put it on a few months ago...

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
I thought this engine was a Crown Vic?
In any case, you can use the intake manifold that the replacement engine comes with. I recommended replacing it because they are prone to cracking, usually due to age. If it is fairly new, just use it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I thought this engine was a Crown Vic?
In any case, you can use the intake manifold that the replacement engine comes with. I recommended replacing it because they are prone to cracking, usually due to age. If it is fairly new, just use it.
Yep, especially the nipple on the back of the right bank where the heater hose connects. These composite manifolds are practically wear-items. I had to replace the one on my CV a few months ago. It wasn’t too bad, but it hurts this old back of mine. I‘ll pay someone else to do it next time around if it’s ever needed again.

·
Super Moderator
17,951 Posts
Depends on the intake he just put on. If its an FRPP PI intake you're good, if it was a replacement NPI or Dorman or some random one it'll need to be replaced. For reliability and preventative reasons I would not recommend using the intake that comes on the Vic motor although it is the same as the FRPP intake. Problem is with these intakes over time they warp under the tstat housing and the big coolant nipple on the rear gets brittle. Even with low mileage its really just age and cycles... they ALL do it, so its always best to get a new intake. A new FRPP will last probably longer than you'll have the car and if not then its a 1-2 hour replacement job and its cheap.

The only "gotcha" with the FRPP intakes which is the case for any 99-up intake going on a 98-down is you need to drill and tap the flat boss on the metal intake coolant front crossover for the second temp sensor that the 96-98 cars have. 99-up just have one. Its easy, 9/16 bit and IIRC its a 1/2NPT tap... google that to double check tho. Harbor Freight has the tap set for like $10. I just popped the metal crossover off the new intake (3 screws on each side I think), I put it in a vise, drilled a pilot hole and worked my way up to 9/16, then I tapped it and then I stuck a hose in it to flush all the shavings out and bolted it back on.

As far as the rest of the motor... direct swap. You can use your coil packs and spark plug wires and you don't even need a tune it'll just fire right up. One of the easiest possible swaps you'll ever do.

That said, these engines do really wake up with a good tune and if you are feeling froggy you can do MHS Stage 2 NA cams while its out. They use the stock valvesprings, they come with a degree service and not only will they add about 30rwhp they'll get you another 700RPM on the redline for a 6500 shift point. Close to the 4V and I can say from experience having swapped a 4V the stock redline at 5800 on the 2V is total ass.

And to answer the original question that is the topic of your thread... a LOT of motors will work. Depends how complex you want to get and your budget. I did the 4V swap which is a 95% drop in, pretty much any 2V will work although a lower mileage 04+ is optimal. There was a 3V swap kit that is no longer available because the company went under and the Coyote swap is so well documented its basically a 100% drop in but you have to buy a lot of swap parts and the control pack to do it. Not cheap but not as expensive as doing a full 4.6L build either. Lot of ppl do LS swaps too... why? You won't go faster for cheaper...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts