Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a little taste of what not to do in a jeep...I'll put up pictures of a driveshaft and rear gears after gettin the jeep back to my friend's house. He got a lil pissed at his rents and went joy riding all night. Decided it was time to do a burn out and dropped the clutch...rear end locked up...driveshaft twisted in half. He was about 30 minutes from his house...not much fun at all...the other are pics of my car from joyriding over christmas.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
other pictures...

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
one more...this is my friend with the jeep's project car...it's now without dents and in full primer, ready for paint.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really didn't go mudding...I went down my friend's road...it was under water the majority and his driveway is a turn road on a field...I probably didnt' have to run 70 down it but I did lol

·
Registered
941 Posts
wtf? i don't followthe story... the jeep broke and the stang is there... because...?

mudding in a stang :no:

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
yeah they are, just don't lock the axle. thats just not smart, lockers are on a jeep to give you great traction on slippery, non-traction surface, its not like a t-lok that is supposed to give you traction on the road. Tou lock up an off-road axle on road and try to do a burn out, there is no doubt that you will break the axle. He just wasn't very smart thats all, i did burnouts in my little 4 cyl. wrangler all the time. It was fun. Ken can back me up on this, im sure.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
yeah.. If I ran out to my Jeep, threw it in 4Lo and locked the axles.... then tried to do a U-turn I would blow out both diffs.

The big difference is the transfercase. picture a 4:1 ratio. 4WD vehicles can put massive amounts of torque to the axles, and they cannot possibly be rated to withstand it. My axles can handle like 6000-8000ft lbs, but the transfercase and gearing can easily exceed 23000ftlbs..

to have axles big enough not to break would make the Jeep useless.

Twisted axles are pretty common

Busted driveshafts are rare. Usually the axles will blow before the DS

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He had it in 2 wheel drive, the rear end just isn't very strong in his particular model

1 - 13 of 13 Posts