Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I bought a 302 V8 engine from a '69 mustang and I have a t-5 manual transmission from an '87 240z. The transmission has the original nissan bellhousing and the engine has it's original flywheel. No clutch or pressure plate or starter motor. My understanding is that I would have to find an adapter for the bellhousing to fit up or that I would have to get a new 5.0L Ford bellhousing for it. Would I just have to get a replacement clutch/pressure plate for the transmission and possibly a new bellhousing? thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
The input shaft is five-eighths of an inch longer on theT5 and it will require a new later bell housing or a the correct spacer. Many people sell the spacer. The shifter on the T-5 is placed much further forward on the case and the handle may need to be bent to fit under the dash depending on the car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi
Assuming that a new bell-housing or adaptor could be made or found, you still have a problem with things like clutch release arm / thrust bearing compatibility to pressure plate. The pressure plate would have to work with the flywheel (Ford) and the friction plate with the transmission input shaft (Nissan). This would still leave small things like starter and spigot bearing to work out.
I would imagine the 302 Ford block is compatible with some other Ford manual transmissions which would be a whole lot easier to hook up and available used / scrap. Maybe check some Hotrod parts suppliers to see which trans' are commonly used with the 302?

·
Registered
35 Posts
a world class t-5 from a 87-95 mustang is your best bet. It will bolt right up, they are plentiful and fairly inexpensive around junkyards and classified adds. the 94-95's have different bellhousings, and a longer input shaft, so id go for the 87-93 depending on the app.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts