Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a 9 inch rim up front, what width tire would be best? 275 or 265? I know the wider tire gives me a larger contact patch, but will the wider tire flex more under extreme driving conditions(like autocross)?

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
I've run 275's on the front for years, only had the sidewall roll once and that was me losing it around 85 and sliding to a stop sideways on an autox course. Didn't pop the bead, just rolled the sidewall.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
275's on a 9 wide is a good fit, any less you could rub the rim lip and mess it up on a curb

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
Bullitt on my fr500's I ran a 265 and felt a 275 would fit perfectly. So it really depends on what would be more affordable and practical

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm grabbing a package deal with nittos and I hear they run a little narrow, so I think I'm going to go with the 275 up front. You all helped my decision, thank you.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
How about a 275 on a 10? I ask b/c Id like to stick with a 40 sidewall but want staggered, 255s on 19x9s & 275s on 19x10s.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea that's why when I bought my fr's I just got the rims and tires seperate but a 285 on a 10' is fine
Yeah, I thought about doing that, but I didn't want to spend any more than I had to. I got the whole package out the door for $1301.99. I'm pretty happy with that.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
On a 9 inch rim up front, what width tire would be best? 275 or 265? I know the wider tire gives me a larger contact patch, but will the wider tire flex more under extreme driving conditions(like autocross)?
I've run 275's on the front for years, only had the sidewall roll once and that was me losing it around 85 and sliding to a stop sideways on an autox course. Didn't pop the bead, just rolled the sidewall.
Once is 1 x too many.

275's on a 9 wide is a good fit, any less you could rub the rim lip and mess it up on a curb
Recommended rim width for a 9 inch is 255. 265 stretching it. Some tires fit differently but to recommend 275 and safe in the same sentence for a 9 inch wide rim is careless advice (no offense intended at all) because there are reasons tires have recommendations.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Riken recommends a 9-11 inch rim for their 275/40. I run a 9 and have had zero problems with my tires. Every manufacturer has a different recommendation. In fact when I first got my car it had a staggered tire config on it. Like 245/255's up front with 275's on the back and the front tires looked like they were stretched to fit the rims while the 275's fit perfectly.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Borii said:
Once is 1 x too many.

Recommended rim width for a 9 inch is 255. 265 stretching it. Some tires fit differently but to recommend 275 and safe in the same sentence for a 9 inch wide rim is careless advice (no offense intended at all) because there are reasons tires have recommendations.
Lol, the only careless advice is stretching a narrow tire on a 9" wheel.

I spend more time on tracks than most people on this site, never had a single negative issue with a 275 on a 9" wheel. When I say it rolled the sidewall it is literally a 1/2 inch mark around the tire. Biggest way to keep sidewall from flexing is smallest sidewall possible and highest pressure possible to stay safe.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lol, the only careless advice is stretching a narrow tire on a 9" wheel.

I spend more time on tracks than most people on this site, never had a single negative issue with a 275 on a 9" wheel. When I say it rolled the sidewall it is literally a 1/2 inch mark around the tire. Biggest way to keep sidewall from flexing is smallest sidewall possible and highest pressure possible to stay safe.
+1, I inflate my fronts to 40-42 lbs when I autocross just for that reason.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
AM tire package staggered comes 275-285..... Om a 9' and 10' in the rear...
AM is 275 for a 10 and 255 for a 9. For the Nitto and Sumitomo. I am saying there is no blanket "yes". The correct answer is "See your manufacturers recommended sizes, then decide the level of risk (no matter how little), you're willing to take".

Lowflyn, so because you race your car and THINK you have more experience that qualifies you to disregard the tire manufacturers recommended numbers?

Each tire has different recommendations. 275 is not a tire that can be safely recommended on a 9 inch rim. No matter what you think. Just because it is not a common issue, doesn't mean the issue is to be ignored.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts