Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Mustang Convertible, and it has the ugly 3-spoke stock 15" rims. I want to buy a new set, and I was wondering what I should buy. I like the Cobra rims, but I'm not sure what type or size to buy...any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
17"x9" is probably the easiest to get and easiest/cheapest to get tires for... Ebay has ALL kinds of them... chrome, silver, black, 17''x10.5".... 18"x10"... but you'll only really be able to fit 9" up front... wheel rub and all

·
I liek gramer
8,537 Posts
Well, nobody agrees w/ my opinion, but I bought 17x9 cobras, and I wish I had found some 17x8s. Tires are cheaper and I don't need that extra inch. If you have a sixer, odds are you don't need it either.

[Brent] But it looks better![/Brent]
:yank: :D

·
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
7,212 Posts
Check out AFSWheels.com. They have 17x8, 17x9, and 17x10.5 (they have the 18" versions as well) of a few wheel styles. Plus, they have wheel and tire packages that include mounting and balancing and the last I checked they had free shipping. I think non chrome wheel and tire packages went for around $1200 depending on the size.

I say go with something that is 10.5" wide in the back and 8" wide in the front because like WhiteStang said, you don't really need the extra inch in the front. As for the wide back, you don't really need the extra 2.5", but like Brent would say, It looks better. They way the wide meats fill the entire wheel well is pretty bad ass in my opinion. AFS always has wheels and wheel/tire packages out on ebay, so I would look there first as they go for less on ebay.

You could also look into some steeda ultralite rims. I had a set of the original ultralites and they were great. Each rim was only like 17 lbs. I am liking their new version of them these days as well. These will run you some extra cash though. They aren't cheep. You can see these on steeda's website (steeda.com).

·
I liek gramer
8,537 Posts
yeah, i saw them when I bought mine off ebay, but i got mine from another seller.

A problem w/ doing what smurfin is talking about is that you can't rotate your tires. That extends tire life.

·
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
7,212 Posts
WhiteStang99 said:
A problem w/ doing what smurfin is talking about is that you can't rotate your tires. That extends tire life.
Tire life? What is that? The way I drive, there is no such concept. :) :burnout: :drive:

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Ha..some of us actually try and make our tires last a lil bit..my last set almost lasted 20k lol

·
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
7,212 Posts
lowflyn said:
Ha..some of us actually try and make our tires last a lil bit..my last set almost lasted 20k lol
I am trying to rip through mine asap so that I have even more reason to upgrade tires. I am down to about 40% tread in the rear after ~6k miles. After a few more sample rides this week with the nice cool weather...I should be down to the point of replacement. Bring on the nittos. :burnout:

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Tire life? What is that? The way I drive, there is no such concept.
Well for the rest of us that are poor....

The most common size is 17x9. You really don't hear alot of complaints around that size. But if you wanna go alittle smaller for snow, a 17x8 would do great.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Yeh..smurfin is trying to rip the tread off those tires...I'll vouch for that one lol. I don't think those F1's are meant to take that kinda punishment man

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
V6STANG007 said:
:ar15: 17x8s.:rockets:

hey Canman, what color is your car?. u should also take that into consideration when u pick your wheels
It's red

I'll probably look at either 17x8s or 17x9s...thanks for the help

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hey don't you hate those 15'' suck ass rims. I got rid of mine and got BBK Speedware Cobra R's with a set of 25540R17 tire. It's a personal prefernence though.

Matt 2001 moded V6.

·
Registered
15 Posts
if you want some 18in polished Y2Ks with or without tires let me know, I can hook you up as I have a set sitting in my hallway and the wife wants it gone, I can take partial trade for some 275/40/17s nitto or BFG DRs :p:

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey the 17s are nice but the 18s are the bomb if you drive it in the winter 17s if you dont have winter and you live in nice climate go with 18s FOOSE speedster SWEET :cool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts