Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to transform a mustang into all wheel drive? would it be possible?

this is just a curiosity thing, i'm not gonna do it

so what would it take, and how much would it take?

for instance, could i take a system off of an AWD f150 and swap it in? or would that drive the mustang's computer crazy?

·
Registered
941 Posts
it would probably be easier to switch the front motor to FWD and add a mid engine to the back and rotate the rear end 45 deg up and relocate all the brackets on it downward. either way, it would be a huge, horribly complicated task.

but the real answer isn't one you're looking for... unless you wanted to spend out the kazoo, you'd have to get an AWD donor car and just put a mustang body on it. i know, it's not a mustang anymore, but that's about the best you could do unless you were rich.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^yea, i figured it would be expensive, like i said, it's just a curiosity thing, cuz i'd like to imagine what an AWD stang would handle like. think about it, quicker launch, better handling in weather. it'd be great...

but thanks for your imput. can i get more ideas?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Just converting a FWD Celica to the AWD Celica is like an $8k swap.

You'd need to have money growing from your ass.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Too bad my money tree was struck down by lightning last week

·
Registered
22 Posts
I forget the name of what you need, but it's a differential of some sorth that takes power that is sent to the rear from the drive shaft and sends it forward to the front wheels. Unless there is a similar car that is 4 wheel drive, you will be spending tons o money to fab that. Our front end wasn't meant to have a drive train, so to speak. My guess is that there's so much crap in the way, you'd spend many many thousands of dollars just moving that stuff around. My friend has a 92 eclipse GSX and I looked up stuff about how it's all wheel drive. Cool feature though.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/four-wheel-drive.htm

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Monkey, that must have been a heckuva shock if your money tree was growing outta your rear end, hehe.:eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts