Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I bought my first car about 10 Months ago and that is the current car I have now which is a 2010 v6 Mustang (Automatic). I bought it with slightly higher mileage at 89k miles and I have been working on it ever sense even though it was in great condition.

I have been trying to make it faster and better looking for a while. So far I've installed an American Thunder Axle Back Exhaust, BBK Cold Air intake, Roush Shocks and Struts with GT500 Strut mounts, and replacing other random worn out parts and adding a bunch of external cosmetic stuff, Wheels, louvers,Leds,Tint, repainting/repairing stuff, etc.

After all this I feel like there still is still not enough pep in the acceleration and I am trying to figure out ways to increase it. I know tuning would make a noticeable change but not much gains more than 15HP and I know higher ratio gearing will increase acceleration but mess with top speed and rpms and speedometer.

1: Should I get a tuner first before gearing so I can let the computer adjust to the new parts or am I ok with what I have?

2: I want a good increase in acceleration as I don't drive on the highway too often but I usually go around at 65MPH arround where I live on average so would 4.10 Gearing be healthy to drive on or should I just run 3.73.

3: Is there anything else I should consider in upgrades? I am really trying to make this car something special even though It won't retain its value especially with these mods as its a car I would like to drive for a while and take good care of it.

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
You aren't going to be able to do anything power wise except maybe do a full catback/mip pipe, not just an axle back. Get 27" tall wheels and tires if you don't have them already and then get 4.10s yes.

Look... this is going to sound like its coming from the "lol v6" crowd. Its not... but the 4.0 is a waste of money and time to try to make real fast. The 4.10s will really wake it up and hopefully that'll make you happy. If not, trade it for a 2011+ V6. The 3.7L Cyclone is a COMPLETELY different animal than the 4.0 in the 2005-2010.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You aren't going to be able to do anything power wise except maybe do a full catback/mip pipe, not just an axle back. Get 27" tall wheels and tires if you don't have them already and then get 4.10s yes.

Look... this is going to sound like its coming from the "lol v6" crowd. Its not... but the 4.0 is a waste of money and time to try to make real fast. The 4.10s will really wake it up and hopefully that'll make you happy. If not, trade it for a 2011+ V6. The 3.7L Cyclone is a COMPLETELY different animal than the 4.0 in the 2005-2010.

I totally would but I am at the point of where all the work I’ve put into it would be a huge loss if I traded out. It’s a daily driver right now and in the future I’ll definitely going to get a v8 between 2011-2014. I’ve just been trying to maximize its capabilities. I agree other mustangs are much better and make more sense but I’m really stuck with this car until it’s broken or I save up several thousand more with me being 18 with a lower paying job haha. The 27 inch wheels would be halarious but I work at a tire shop and my co workers and friends would disown me haha. I did just buy new 19 inch wheels over the 17inch and I’ll be installing them tomorow. From what I’m hearing the 4.10s should be great for me then and I think I’m going to do that.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts

I thought I’d read here that with the A6, the 4.10’s were a waste of time and actually slower than the 3.31’s.......with the A6, I don’t think that I would go any deeper than 3.55’s.....and might even consider staying with the 3.15’s if that is what the car came with......

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
And when I said 27" wheels I meant 27" tall TIRES, as in the GT size spec vs the V6 spec.

4.10s for the 5 speed auto will be fine especially with the 4.0L. Go for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts