Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mac longtubes, h-pipe, bullets dumped, nx wet kit 75 or 100, plugs and wires, and the mac ram air.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
plugs and wires dont add hp for the most part. dont be fooled into buying those expensive plugs because you think they'll add 10hp.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
good gaps (small) on the juice will
give better HP than anything else.
Corey's pretty close. :D

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
yeah, but the brand of plug (other than it being copper while spraying) wont do anything

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know plugs and wires wont help any, i just threw that in there, i didnt mean the mac ram air i ment the march ram air set up... my dad had it(and a k&n) on his 97 cobra and it picked up 3 mph and 2 tenths
do you guys recamend 3.73s or 4.10s? i dont care about gas milage or street ability or any of that **** :wtf:
what kind of torque do you think it would make? what do you think it would run at sea level with a set of slicks, good driving and 5000 rpm launches (oh yeah, can these 7.5s handle it?)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
3.73s for manual
4.10s for auto.

you cant use slicks with the stock v6 rear end. its a 7.5. you'll need an 8.8 to use slicks.

the ram air is a waste on our cars. get the mac cold air induction.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Once again I agree with Brandon Ram air will not gain much on a V6 but if you put one on it wont hurt and do not put slicks on a 7.5

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i guess you guys have tried it? what a good set of drag radials, nittos or something? im gunna get that ram air, it might not help(i think it will), but sure as hell wont hurt :headbang:
why do you guys ssay the 7.5 is so weak? thats what all these f-body guys roll around on, those cars make twice the power and and can run slicks a ew times before they break, we have way less power, so why cant we run slicks alot of times? :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn doble post :oops:
how do you guys launch your cars anyways? what do they run?

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Not that the 7.5 will not hold up to H.P. When you have drag slicks it transfer all the torque to the rearend gears and that is where they can break. with radials you have some slippage in the tires and that relieves the stress on the rearend gears. The fact is the 7.5 will probably survive slicks for a while but it becomes a crap shoot. Best bet is if you are making a dedicated track car get a 8.8

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
fox bodies run on 8.8s. starting in 1986, all v8s came with 8.8 rear ends.

but like corey said, its the torque that ruins the 7.5. i have seen it brake with just gears, cai, and exhaust on a sticky track when the guy was running street tires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i guess a set of nittos for street driving and maybe a set of sportsman pros or the track.. iv seen a couple older four eyed fox bodies with the 7.5s make multiple slick passes
so with that power what kind of numbers at the track do you think i would see? i would hope for low 14s, high high 13s here at penwell(our local 1/4 track 3500 - 5500 foot air)
maybe thats to much, but iv seen an automatic with just a 50 shot go 15.0s

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
a 96 5spd stock will run about a 16.5ish. add the 75 shot and take off a second to 15.5. with gears take off a half second to 15.0. intake and exhaust will subtract about .2 so high 14s i would say.

that automatic v6 you saw was prolly a 99+. their stock autos run high 15s

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
IMO try the Ram-Air.
I've had one (89GT, home-made) and it helped from a slow roll
to 140+ MPH. But that was with the stock airbox, which I assume
the March uses. They do work, I've made them and used them,
but I will say this, buying a new one may not be a big boost over
a good CAI. I'd personally re-design the whole inlet tract.

I like gears like Monkey lists, for overall starters, however
I'm going with 4.10s and a manual with extended RPM capabilities
when I build my own street/race V6 :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Pete has 300+ rwhp and runs slicks on the track IIRC. He's broken a couple 7.5s
but also has many passes on the 7.5s. Then there are special people that break
their 7.5s doing dumb things on street tires.
Besides, slicks will actually slow you down if they let you bog at all. Some cars
don't need them because they can hook with less due to less torque.

·
Registered
17 Posts
reason f body 7.5 are stronger is that they use a different differential. they have 98 and up for sure on some v6 and all v8s a zexel torsen differential. uses worm gears, no clutch packs. (never wear out b/c no clutch packs) our 7.5 use old style differential with spider gears and clutch packs. (clutch packs can go out and when they do ur back to one wheel spining) zexel torsen differentials are very strong stock and are said to hold up to 500lb tq stock. i know they make a zexel torsen 8.8 differential> but not a 7.5 for us :(

Thats what you get when you have a girlfriend that has a camaro and likes to race. Shes awesome :headbang:

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
I have seen quite a few Camaros brake rear ends much more than Mustangs. in reality Clutches give and that can save a rear end. I have seen in recent times Z-28's at the track break alot of rear ends running slicks and Nitrous

1 - 20 of 21 Posts