Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some major work on my 2002 GT, and as a result the front-end has been up on jack-stands for the past 8 months or so (since the end of August, of last year). I noticed a while ago something seemed to be leaking from the car, onto the garage floor. Well, yesterday I was able to work on it for the first time in three months (due to crappy Cleveland, OH weather; my job as a tractor-trailer driver; lack of money for all the parts I need/want, yada, yada, yada), and since I was under the trans, replacing the trans mount, I discovered the fluid is trans fluid. It was all over the trans mount; the rear O2 sensors' wiring, and the trans extension housing (or, whatever it's called). I think the fluid is coming from the extension housing, as the pan for the trans fluid on the trans seems dry; doesn't look like that's leaking. Is it common for leaks to occur from the extension housing, or it's gasket?

My transmission has always shifted fine; I've never noticed any problems in that area, but my car often makes a strange sound when taking off from a stop, which I can only describe as a sound like a turbine spooling up. I'm not 100% certain it's the trans, but I think it is, and I think it's gear whine. It sounds to me like it's coming from the area of the trans tunnel. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does occur, it goes away when I get up to 10 mph, or so.

I guess this is as good a reason as any to go ahead and finally get that new TCI trans/torque converter I've been wanting, LOL (again, money, or lack thereof, is the reason I don't already have that) - anyone have experience with TCI transmissions and/or torque converters?

I'm going to try to post some pics I took yesterday, while under the car. If anyone wants to chime in on what they think it's going on please do! Thanks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry - I can't quite figure out how to post multiple pictures in the same post/comment!

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
It looks like a combination of things.
With the front of the car raised on jack stands, the transmission fluid flowed back to the tail shaft and sat there where it is not normally supposed to be for extended periods of time. Under normal use, the fluid is supposed to flow back into the transmission pan.
The drive shaft, and tail shaft seal should "technically" contain the transmission fluid inside of the transmission under normal circumstances, but seals start to wear out, and the transmission was sitting at an angle that it probably only sees occasionally, for short periods of time, during normal use.
It looks like it may have been seeping some fluid out even before being up on jack stands.
I wouldn't worry about it, if it stops leaking when the car is sitting reasonably level, with the transmission fluid filled to the correct level.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks like a combination of things.
With the front of the car raised on jack stands, the transmission fluid flowed back to the tail shaft and sat there where it is not normally supposed to be for extended periods of time. Under normal use, the fluid is supposed to flow back into the transmission pan.
The drive shaft, and tail shaft seal should "technically" contain the transmission fluid inside of the transmission under normal circumstances, but seals start to wear out, and the transmission was sitting at an angle that it probably only sees occasionally, for short periods of time, during normal use.
It looks like it may have been seeping some fluid out even before being up on jack stands.
I wouldn't worry about it, if it stops leaking when the car is sitting reasonably level, with the transmission fluid filled to the correct level.
I've been meaning to say thank you for your input; it's much appreciated - but, like everything else in my life, LOL,I didn't get to it in a timely fashion. Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
"straybullitt" is most likely correct.......if you see fluid thrown on the underside after you drive it you have a leak at the tailshaft......give it a look after you begin driving it again......Good Luck!!(y)(y)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts