Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy had a Braille battery. Anyone know which is best?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Premium Member
4,069 Posts
To ask what's best is pretty subjective. But I have always had really good luck with optima batteries. In fact, I've never had one die on me. I had one in a Tacoma pickup for 8 years before I sold it. I had a buddy who had one for almost 10 years before he replaced it. I even had a yellow top deep cycle in a 69 I had that constantly died when I was in the military (it would sit for a year) and it would always take a charge and come back.

I recently put a red top in my 14. Even though when you search there is no "direct fit" battery, I found that this particular battery from summit fit the bill on size and right post positive. It fits great and all I had to do was cut a bit of the adapter supplied by optima so it would slide under the lip in the back of the tray.

ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1469390171.725485.jpg

ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1469390207.768841.jpg

·
Registered
737 Posts
Get an anti gravity battery, just don't run your stereo with the car turned off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
559 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
What are you looking for out of a new battery? Are you just replacing a dead OEM battery? Do you need more power for a stereo system? Do you want a lighter weight battery? If doing it for weight reduction, are you willing to go full lightweight and leave the car on a battery tender or do you want a compromise option?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just ordered the optima. What's the voltage gauge suppose to read. I bought a duralast to ride me over until red top comes in. But last night when I put the new one in it read 14.1 to 14.3. Today it's in the 13.5 to 13.7 range.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
One word, "Optima". They take abuse and keep going.

I also like the gold top Duralast batteries. I had one last almost 14 years.

---------- Post added at 02:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 AM ----------

I just ordered the optima. What's the voltage gauge suppose to read. I bought a duralast to ride me over until red top comes in. But last night when I put the new one in it read 14.1 to 14.3. Today it's in the 13.5 to 13.7 range.

Your battery is fine.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
My next battery will be an optima red top. I had one in my 95 and it was severely abused by a large sound system and never had an issue.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I can't see any reason to go with an optima unless you have a high wattage sound system or some other large power drain that would warrant a stronger battery. For 99% of the cars here I'd go with OEM or one of the Braille or similar batteries in the 20-25lb range for a little cheap weight reduction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts