Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty much.... why do people always gripe about the cobra's having IRS? I know the IRS likes to break under hard drag launches but I don't know why. Can someone explain?

·
Registered
404 Posts
The half shafts on the Cobra IRS are smaller than the single live axle on a GT. The trick is that the IRS in the cobra handles way better. The cobra is pretty much set up for the twisties, not a drag track.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Horse said:
The half shafts on the Cobra IRS are smaller than the single live axle on a GT. The trick is that the IRS in the cobra handles way better. The cobra is pretty much set up for the twisties, not a drag track.
Exactly how I came to understand it as well. The wheels tend to hop more with irs but when they're connected it makes it more difficult and gives you more traction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know that IRS doesn't seem to be as well on the drag strip. Which made me wonder why Ford would put it in the cobra. It seems that people are more interested in drag racing the cobra then road racing it. They should have added a live rear axel as an option.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Eos said:
I know that IRS doesn't seem to be as well on the drag strip. Which made me wonder why Ford would put it in the cobra. It seems that people are more interested in drag racing the cobra then road racing it. They should have added a live rear axel as an option.

Drag racers by GT's because they are cheaper to buy and are going to mod it anyway.

Ford from the very beginning built the Cobra to compete with the european cars that are all set up as road course and better handling cars.

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
the IRS is nice for a smooth ride and handeling, but if you drag race an live axle is the only WAY to go, along with the fact that a live axle can be made to handle better than an IRS probably... you just pay for it dearly with extra noise and rough ride....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts