Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I want 17'' wheels to upgrade from this stock look. Well, my stepdad seems to differ. He says, that if i go to a higher wheel size, my speedometer will be off by alot, and my car will rattle, ride rougher, etc. How is this possible? I really dont believe him. Please help, so I can settle it and get my wheels :p .

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you choose the right combination wheel/tire, your speedo won't be off. As far as ride, I didn't notice any changes in ride quality when I went from 15" to 17" wheels.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And is it ok looking if i did 16" chrome bullitts? Im torn between 16" and 17" :oops:

·
Registered
567 Posts
as long as you match tire sizes the speedo wont be off, if any very very little.

As far as ride comfort, it will b eroughed since you have a smaller sidewall. Thus, less flex of the tire and a "rougher" ride. But on a stock suspension I doubt you would ever notice it.

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
defanitely get 17s. A 17" tire with a 45mm sidewall will be roughly the same diameter as your tire+rim is right now and wont cause any speedometer problems, or any other of those problems your stepdad mentioned. Id defanitely go with 17s though, youll kick yourself for not doing it later :headbang:

·
Registered
941 Posts
ZimStang said:
defanitely get 17s. A 17" tire with a 45mm sidewall will be roughly the same diameter as your tire+rim is right now and wont cause any speedometer problems, or any other of those problems your stepdad mentioned. Id defanitely go with 17s though, youll kick yourself for not doing it later :headbang:
if you are referring to the "45" from 245/45/17, the middle number is not in MM's it is in % of the tread width, which is the 245. So it would be 45% of 245 which is about 120mm.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I believe in spending a little more now to save me a lot later, so 17" makes a lot more sense than 16" because one day you might want Cobra brakes. If you buy the 16" now that will mean a whole other set of wheels later... :oops:

Your dad's like mine always was. He means well because he doesn't want you blowing cash on bling-bling. He figures if you spend that money on college then you'll be able one day to pay somebody to do your wheel shopping for you. At heart he's on your side, but it's still frustrating, I know. :|

Show him the logic of buying 17" for the sake of better (SAFER) brakes later, and maybe he won't stop to ask you how much the brakes are gonna' cost. :D

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Corey...thread from the dead man...

·
Registered
231 Posts
just stay with the 45series tires and you'll be fine.. now if u get 19's that might be over doing it.. in my oppinion 17's are better because 18's are heavy.. my car feels even slower do to the extra weight and rotational mass..

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
powerhungry966 said:
. in my oppinion 17's are better because 18's are heavy.. my car feels even slower do to the extra weight and rotational mass..
That is because you are slower. The additional weight of 18's and more rubber on the tires adds nearly 100 lbs to the weight of the car. You will mostly notice this when you first accelerate from a stop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts