Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question probably has been asked before, but I did a quick search and did not get a hit within this forum. I have a 2013 V6 coupe that rarely gets more than 4K or so miles on it during the year. In fact, as of this past weekend I have only put a little over 3800 miles on it this year. Also, I usually store it in whatever enclosed facility has the best cost offering at the beginning of November through the following April, with occasional running and driving it based on weather/road conditions. My question is what actually dictates when an oil change is required - miles driven or time since last oil change? I have always used Mobil 1 Full Synthetic and change the oil once a year whether I have reached 5K miles or not, and not based on the recommended date. Two other related questions - 1) based on my scenario if one oil change a year is sufficient should I do it before or after I store it for 5 to 6 months? 2) If my past oil change process is just plain wrong/stupid and might cause engine issues, should I get a thorough engine flush/cleaning performed to remove any excess sludge before the next new oil change. As always, thanks for the feedback and knowledge I gain from more experienced Mustang owners.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am in the same predicament. Low miles each year dictates fewer oil changes. However recently manufacturers have been stating to change the oil every 3 or 4 months. Like you I've been getting the oil changed once a year and at the beginning of the driving season. I'm interested in knowing what the correct thinking on this truly is as well. Any oil experts out there?

·
Registered
773 Posts
I’m retired and only drive about 5k per year, so I change my oil every 6 months, regardless of miles driven. I asked my mechanic about this issue and a good rule of thumb was that liquids are time bombed. Oil, brake fluid, coolant, etc., are best off changed at regular intervals not necessarily miles, but time. Brakes, tires, etc., which aren’t liquid, can be replaced on a mileage basis. Been doing this for years on all my vehicles with no problems. See what works for you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i change oil at most every 10k miles or every year or when the ecu says oil at 5%
brake fluid every 2 years
ATF transmision every 50.000 miles
oil gear axle every 50.000 miles
coolant every year

·
Registered
24 Posts
oil change

If you are using a synthetic I would change it once a year if your only driving it 5000 miles. There is a lot of ideas out there about oil changes when and whether to use synthetic but what everyone agrees on don't change it because your oil light tells you to and you don't have to change at 3000 miles like all the commercials say. Change it about every 5000 miles and you'll be fine. Remember the manufacturer wants to sell you a new model every few years or sooner, so if you don't change your oil regularly you engine may take a crap. I've been building engines for over forty years haven't had one come apart yet.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you use a 5w20 with spec WSS M2C945 A/B (This SAE is only sinthetic oil) and you drive normally, you can wait until 10.000 miles , if your drive fast and hard (your rev, always over 4.500 o more, you must change it betwen 5.000 - 8.000 miles but sync show you the oil status...

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I change my oil once per year, around 1,800 miles :). I love my Mustang and plan to keep it 'maybe' for the rest of my life. I'm old :( and would never go past 5,000 miles on an oil change. 3,000 miles is my limit. If you plan on keeping your Mustang for just a few years then change your oil every 10,000 miles. It just cost me $30 something dollars to change it myself. I've also changed to 5W30 full synthetic motor oil several years ago :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oil Change

Unfortunately, it boils down to this, your going to do what you want to do and that's fine everybody has an opinion about oil changes all I'm saying is, I don't go by what Ford says, they are out to sell cars and the quicker you wear them out the better it is for them. I never go over 5000 with synthetic but thats all I use and have ever used except before they made it. So in the long run just do what makes you happy:)

·
Registered
497 Posts
I go by time, mileage, and oil color. I'm old school. My oil life meter always seems way too optimistic to me. When I check the oil and it's starting to get dark I change the oil and filter. I use synthetic oil too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I change my oil when the indicator shows 20%-25% oil life left. I don't drive much either, less than 5K/year due to short commute distance and use synthetic oil. Basically, this leads me to change oil once every year.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm in same boat as to mileage, use of full synthetic, always changing oil once a year, early spring after storage over winter. I've always wondered if my timing of change in spring is better than a change in fall when car goes into storage. It seems to me deposits left in oil may suggest fall oil change, therefore, fresh oil in car prior to storage.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I wondered the same and decided to use Blackstone Labs every time I change my oil. They analyze the oil and give you a report that tells you what is in the oil and how much life is left. Things like excessive metals might indicate premature wear or coolant in the oil well, that’s bad, mkay. I put 6-7k miles a year on my supercharged GT and store it for winter. Every report says the oil is good enough to go to 8k miles. I use full synthetic 5w20. I don’t like the thought of contaminants sitting in the oil/engine all winter so I put fresh oil in before storing.
As stated, you gather info and do what you feel is best. One thing we can all agree on is the only thing too frequent oil changes will hurt is your wallet...and that’s not bad anyway.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I feel more in line with some of the responses about changing once a year no matter the number of miles and due it in the fall before storing my ride. One more question - any need or benefit for doing an occasional thorough flush of the engine as I did way back when I was in HS/College?

·
Registered
900 Posts
I feel more in line with some of the responses about changing once a year no matter the number of miles and due it in the fall before storing my ride. One more question - any need or benefit for doing an occasional thorough flush of the engine as I did way back when I was in HS/College?
I wouldn’t think so on the flush unless you suspect something is wrong and there’s excess metal in the oil? From the 5 reports I have on my car, nothing seems to be accumulating. I’m still under 50k though. Maybe higher mileage cars with more wear would benefit from a flush?

·
Registered
70 Posts
in all my cars, I flushed the engine every two oil change.... and made an engine descarbonization, every 50.000km (around 35k milles). I use a water for this, and my other cars are 6H cylinders (2 Subarus) 6 line cylinders (BMW) and 6V cylinders (mazda) and the results are incredible.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My family and I always change our oil at 10,000 miles with Mobil 1 Synthetic and have never had a problem. We’ve done this on 4 BMW’s (one was a M5), 1 Mercedes, 1 Audi (Sold with 191,000 miles and driven hard for 15 years), several Chevy’s and Ford’s (even our 66 Stang). We just sold an Expedition with 190,000 miles on it. We do all of our oil changes ourselves.

That’s just my experience.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My family and I always change our oil at 10,000 miles with Mobil 1 Synthetic and have never had a problem. We’ve done this on 4 BMW’s (one was a M5), 1 Mercedes, 1 Audi (Sold with 191,000 miles and driven hard for 15 years), several Chevy’s and Ford’s (even our 66 Stang). We just sold an Expedition with 190,000 miles on it. We do all of our oil changes ourselves.

That’s just my experience.
+1

·
Registered
52 Posts
Everyone is going to have a different opinion on this. Manufacturers might tell you longer increments to sell more cars and get you to buy another car. Oil manufactures will tell you shorter increments to get you to buy more oil.

Conspiracy theories aside... This is my thoughts on this.

1) If you are driving 3000 miles a year or less, and store it for the winter, IMHO the best time to change your oil is just after you pull it out of storage. Moisture will build up in your engine, and it gets mixed into the oil when you first start it in the spring.

2) Changing oil just before you put it away seems like a waste as the engine will not be running and getting hot enough to burn off the moisture, so you will be replacing the oil anyway in the spring... There are different thoughts about this.
3) I have had collector cars since 1989, I do not drive them in the winter, and I am up to 5 cars which are stored during the winter. I change the oil every spring, having my own lift now saves me a lot of money, but it takes time. Right now I have about 1900 miles on my 2016 Mustang RS3 and have changed the oil 2 times (both done by dealer for warranty) Every spring, one of the first things I do is have them change the oil. If I get the tick, I can blame it on them. I have a oil catch can, and I get moisture in it in the spring, on the way to get my oil change... so I do know that moisture does build up and it can be a problem...

4) One of the biggest problems I have seen with cars sitting is the seals tend to dry out, especially on older cars where they used cork.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
1) If you are driving 3000 miles a year or less, and store it for the winter, IMHO the best time to change your oil is just after you pull it out of storage. Moisture will build up in your engine, and it gets mixed into the oil when you first start it in the spring.

2) Changing oil just before you put it away seems like a waste as the engine will not be running and getting hot enough to burn off the moisture
You are 100% wrong. Always always change oil before you store it, not after.
I change the oil in my fun cars once a year BEFORE I store it for the Winter.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You are 100% wrong. Always always change oil before you store it, not after.
I change the oil in my fun cars once a year BEFORE I store it for the Winter.

You are correct, I was wrong. I have literally been doing it wrong all these years... Not being sarcastic.

Now I get to change my oil in 5 cars before winter

1 - 20 of 34 Posts