Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install a seat belt harness bar using my stock seats. I read somewhere that you need to have a chest clip on the harness or they keep falling like a loose bra on a woman. Where can I buy harnesses with these? Do I even need the chest clips with stock seats or will they work fine w/o them? 4 or 5 point harness, doesnt matter, Im open to either...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I use the stock seats they dont have the holes up top for the belts to go through like in your pic to hold them in place. So they will slide down off your shoulders to the side. If there is a chest clip, then the shoulder straps would be connected and not allow the shoulder straps to slide off your shoulders. I saw them online but I cant find them now for some reason. Also I dont want to buy some cheap harnesses and regret it if I crash during Auto X, or Drags...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like a home made fabrication? Or can I buy those somewhere? (Ill bend a coat hanger LOL)

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
MDoane44 said:
Like a home made fabrication? Or can I buy those somewhere? (Ill bend a coat hanger LOL)
I know a guy that when to the auto x and had his 5.0 with stock seats and a racing harness. Idk if he had clips or not. Yea something homemade or zip ties can work

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Street Legal

Check and see if these are ok for street use in your state. :headbang:

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
What are you going to attach them to?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'd browse around https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/ or Racer Wholesale- Racing Safety Equipment or http://www.summitracing.com/ You should find what you need there.

As for street use, I would not use the harness on the street. When I get a harness mounted in my car, my plan is to use eye bolts this time around so I can just clip in the race harness when needed. Also, for the shoulder harness, you will want a harness bar; mounting too low is dangerous & likely won't pass tech anywhere that is paying attention.

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
I had mine attached to the bolts were my rear seatbelts would go. And the side ones under the bolts of the seat

·
Registered
598 Posts
That's how I started out. Then I was educated by more knowledgeable guys at the local autox. I figured I didn't want broken collarbones in the unlikely event of an incident. That car had a rear strut tower bar that made a nice mount point--put the shoulder harnesses are a more acceptable level. The lap belts went under the stock bolts, but I'd prefer to swap to eyebolts this time around; just saw a New Edge car this weekend with that setup & it looked like it worked well.

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
I got the idea of putting it on the rear seat bolts because other guys at the auto x were runnin em like that. If I had the money to of gotten a roll cage then yes I would of ran em that way

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Try the Highway Patrol in your state.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts