Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i wanted to know what were the changes between the 4.6 from 98 and the 4.6 from 99? and if you had a choice would you but a 94-95 5.0 or a 96-98 4.6? if i buy the 4.6 from 98 how hard would it be to put it in the same power range at the 99+ car?thanks for the help

·
Registered
529 Posts
That's the year of the PI heads and intake (performance improved)

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so if i get the heads off a 99+ plus the upper intake and the comp i would have a 99+ gt engine? and would this package maybe get me 300 hp. a nice set of heads (open to suggestions) and a nice set of cams (same), upper and lower intake. and all the bolt ons including totally new exhaust. headers, cat free h pipe ect.

·
Registered
529 Posts
if you put PI intake and heads on a non PI engine you would actually have more power then a 99+ the pre 99 GTs have a higher compression ratio so you would get more NA power but would be more touchy if you decided to boost it.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hum how much would i be looking at do you think? this sounds like a cheapish mod, kinda sorta. im going to stay N/A as long as i can hit about 300 hp at the crank. maybe up to 325 ish. thanks guys

·
Registered
187 Posts
for the PI heads about 5-600 for a decent pair, that have a 3 angle valve job. the intakes would run about 250-450, depending what you get extra on the intake(how ported they are). a new cam is about $300 with the new valve springs, and pushrods. the install will be a pretty penny too. those alone should but you over 300 on a 99+, around 300 pre 99 except the 94-95, then your looking closer to the 99+ range of hp. you will have more torque than the 99+ models though, thats if its a 5.0.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
u dont use pushrods on a 96+ v8 right? and isnt the install of a cam on a 96+ cam mush easier then one in a 95 5.0? and minus the cam isnt all this stock on a 99+ car? and how much better would the flow of a 24 valve engine be? thanks i kno im asking alot of questions, but thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
96+ 4.6 motors are OHC not pushrod.
by the 24 valves..do you mean the 05 3v GT motor? i belive they have 2 intake valves and 1 exhaust, im not sure, but they breathe a little better

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Actually a combination on the intake, heads and cam on the 99+ GT's gave the increase in hp. So you would need the cams to, to do the swap correctly. The SOHC cam swap is a PITA. You have to remove the front cover to remove the cams on top of the heads, so you can remove the heads. So you might as well replace the cams.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Well, the cams are in the heads from 96 on :p:

·
Registered
517 Posts
You will have 300 rwhp if you change the cams as well! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts