Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was telling a friend of mine about the Nationwide COTs and how they were pony cars back in June. The I saw on Jayski that Ford proposed to NASCAR the Mustang in 2013 for Cup. I instantly thought back to June, and the word pony car. Just how did we get the name Pony for cars like the Mustang, Challenger, and Camaro?

·
Registered
48 Posts
The name Pony Car comes from within the automotive industry. It refers to the Camaro, and Mustang. The Chrysler Corporation really didn't have a Pony Car. The Pony Cars were used in Trans Am and IROC style type of racing. They are the intermediate cars in the 2 door version of each manufacturer. Chrysler created the Challenger to enter this field, that's why you see Camaro and Mustang in '67, and no Challengers until '70 Quote from Wikipedia: "The first generation was a pony car built from 1970 to 1974" The Pony cars also used the "smaller horses" in a Ford Mustang instead of the 428 c.i.d. big block, they used a 302 c.i.d. small block in their Pony Car. Camaro used a 302 c.i.d. in their performance Pony Cars. Chrysler also had big block Challengers, but ended up using a 340 c.i.d. engine in their Challenger, as the rules for competition had changed for engine production and applications to the series.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The term itself "was coined by Dennis Shattuck, who was editor of Car Life magazine" at the time.[9] The term "originates from the equestrian sounding Ford Mustang".[2]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts