Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Where is the best place to begin restoration?

865 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ccri 
#1 ·
I want to begin restoration work on my 1964 Mustang (Early 1965).
What is the best order to proceed? Drive train, Transmission, Engine, Body, interior?
How much does a complete overhaul of engine and transmission generally run (factory specs)?

#2 ·
I restore muscle cars and build total loss cars for a living, the restoration of your mustang will be costly depending on how nice it is now and how nice it is later,as far as where to start well get your self alot of big zip lock freezer bags and a permanent black marker,then take your car all apart putting all small parts in labeled bags as to what they are for, this will make it alot better for you later , as for the motor and trans sub this one out,its much faster for you, get a factory assembly manual for later you will need it, as for the body work and paint well that's the expense buddy,i can spend around 1500-$2000 dollars for just the stuff to do the job correctly,and the labor i get $30 per hour some shops get $50 per hour their are many shop out their that will do good and many will give you a very poor paint job,its all about the body work,$8000 to $12000 for paint and body restorations is on the low side be careful of those who bid the job to cheep this shows no experience on their part and could cost you to have it redone else where, its alot of work more than most people realize,some times to buy a car finished is more cost effective, about cost on your motor tranny $1500 to $1800 on the motor trans $400 to $700 wish you lots of luck be careful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.