Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Thanks for taking time to read my looong post. I have so many more questions, but these are the ones burning me up. Beg pardon if I missed a "newbie" thread where I'm supposed to put this sort of thing. I looked, but didn't find one.

I'm the proud owner of a 2013 GT. I'm completely new to the hobby and the community. I've had it about 5 months now, though I haven't really gotten to drive it much. At this point, I've only got about 1100 miles on it. I'm STILL getting used to driving a manual transmission.

As spring approaches, I've started to get an appetite to do some upgrades. I'm pretty clueless, so I came here looking for advice. I've basically got my hat in my hands- I have no valuable input to contribute. Here's hoping that will change as time goes by!

I'd really like to make some changes to the exhaust. I can't hear the engine over the stereo unless I turn the music way down. I need the feedback to know when to shift. Also, I will admit to wanting to get some more attention on the road. I'd like to keep the idle relatively quiet, but really hear some noise at higher RPM's. Any advice on how to achieve that?

I got the car at a discount because the guy who originally ordered it cancelled at the last minute. I really like the look of the stripes, but I'm not sure whether to keep them. Frankly, I worry that people will think I'm trying to fake a GT500. They are vinyl stripes, and I think they could be removed at this point. Do I keep the stripes, remove them, or replace them with painted stripes? Any advice or opinion is most welcome.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Exhaust varies person to person. I recommend YouTube or American Muscle for sound bites. I shift around 3-4k when I want to hear that sweet pipe music...

·
Registered
720 Posts
The only people who will think you're trying to fake a GT500 are people who know nothing about Mustangs. I don't think stripes are in any way an imitation. Do not take them off, unless you want to get the painted on, which will be pretty expensive.

That being said, get the 2011-2012 GT500 exhaust haha. Sounds loud when you get on it and quiet during idle and cruising.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The only people who will think you're trying to fake a GT500 are people who know nothing about Mustangs. I don't think stripes are in any way an imitation. Do not take them off, unless you want to get the painted on, which will be pretty expensive.

That being said, get the 2011-2012 GT500 exhaust haha. Sounds loud when you get on it and quiet during idle and cruising.
Haha speaking if which, shortly after I obtained my 13, someone asked me "how's the Shelby drive?" I just said it wasn't a shelby and he said I shouldn't try to make it something that it isn't. Guess he didn't get the demo on the facelift.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Haha speaking if which, shortly after I obtained my 13, someone asked me "how's the Shelby drive?" I just said it wasn't a shelby and he said I shouldn't try to make it something that it isn't. Guess he didn't get the demo on the facelift.
Haha this is what I'm talking about. The whole lower half of the front bumper is different on the shelby.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Hi all! Thanks for taking time to read my looong post. I have so many more questions, but these are the ones burning me up. Beg pardon if I missed a "newbie" thread where I'm supposed to put this sort of thing. I looked, but didn't find one.

I'm the proud owner of a 2013 GT. I'm completely new to the hobby and the community. I've had it about 5 months now, though I haven't really gotten to drive it much. At this point, I've only got about 1100 miles on it. I'm STILL getting used to driving a manual transmission.

As spring approaches, I've started to get an appetite to do some upgrades. I'm pretty clueless, so I came here looking for advice. I've basically got my hat in my hands- I have no valuable input to contribute. Here's hoping that will change as time goes by!

I'd really like to make some changes to the exhaust. I can't hear the engine over the stereo unless I turn the music way down. I need the feedback to know when to shift. Also, I will admit to wanting to get some more attention on the road. I'd like to keep the idle relatively quiet, but really hear some noise at higher RPM's. Any advice on how to achieve that?

I got the car at a discount because the guy who originally ordered it cancelled at the last minute. I really like the look of the stripes, but I'm not sure whether to keep them. Frankly, I worry that people will think I'm trying to fake a GT500. They are vinyl stripes, and I think they could be removed at this point. Do I keep the stripes, remove them, or replace them with painted stripes? Any advice or opinion is most welcome.
This is what i did, it has the shelby wing, rear diffuser and quad exhaust, and no one, i mean no one has said its a gt500

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Rim Personal luxury car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is what i did, it has the shelby wing, rear diffuser and quad exhaust, and no one, i mean no one has said its a gt500
The reason on one said its a gt500 cause it don't look anything like a gt500

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

It has 5.0 on side and gt on rear hard to even think its a gt500

·
Registered
1,233 Posts

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

It has 5.0 on side and gt on rear hard to even think its a gt500
Well thats the point im making, even though he has stripes like the gt500, everyone can tell its a dam 5.0

·
Premium Member
25,510 Posts
spend time researching, find local shows/events and talk to owners about mods find out what they liked about them how they look etc and get a feel for what you want. Then do the mods, its more fun to do little by little than all at once.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Welcome aboard! Looks like our cars are twins! (Hard to tell in the profile pic, but looks like you have the deep impact blue color).

I also vote on keeping the stripes, but I might be a little biased lol. I always get a lot of compliments on the stripes, and nobody has ever mentioned anything about trying to fake a Shelby.

Exhaust wise, I just installed the gt500 exhaust from ford racing, and I love the sound! It's a little loud on a cold start, but it settles down once the car warns up. You can definitely hear the exhaust when accelerating, even when you're not gunning it. When you do gun, it gets pretty loud. Not as loud as some of these other exhausts, but I did not want anything too loud. It's loud enough to hear it when accelerating and having music playing in the background at the same time. Also, when cruising, it's just slightly louder than stock, which is what I really wanted. II didn't want much noise when cruising.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Welcome man, nice ride!

I agree on the exhaust, youtube is your best bet to find what you want. There is a TON of videos on there with every combination imaginable. Americanmuscle.com also has a ton of clips of the exhausts on a stock midpipe which can help you figure out what just a new catback will sound like.

As for shifting, I rarely shift over 3k RPMS in city driving (unless I'm getting on it.) I usually keep my motor when cruising around 2k RPMs, which seems to help improve gas mileage a little bit when I get into conservative mode. If i'm going 45-50mph+ I shift into 5th but usually have it in 4th for all speeds that I can below that.

It seems like everyone drives different, but that's how I always have driven my MT cars. I always try to keep the RPMs as reasonably low as I can while still being able to have a little punch when I push on the gas.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I'm also in the same boat as the OP exhaust wise. However, I am wanting a louder exhaust note during idle and cruising. What do you guys recommend?

Congrats on your new car, dude!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Rims? And $ for the set if you don't mind me asking ?
Man i got them sponsored, but for.tires check with AM 6% off and discounttiredirect.com, call them i got.awesome deals, all.four tires for.1k

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

Deep sound.
Or gt500s, but borlas are thw way to go.aswell

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

Rims? And $ for the set if you don't mind me asking ?
They are Incurves btw
http://vosmotorsports.com/product_info.php/incurve-ics5-matte-gunmetal-f20x9-r20x105-p-44629

1 - 20 of 38 Posts