Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into buying a carbon fiber driveshaft This week and am wondering which one to buy? Will the Shelby one fit? Which is lighter and/or cheaper? Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I am looking into buying a carbon fiber driveshaft This week and am wondering which one to buy? Will the Shelby one fit? Which is lighter and/or cheaper? Thanks guys
The shelby won't fit, I think, because it had a dofferent transmission

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
Shelby DS will not fit. Why CF DS? Just get aluminum. They're still good for 900 hp and only about 2-4 lbs heavier, which isn't enough to justify the money IMO.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Ds is a great upgrade but there are soooo many more mods to be done first and that will make a bigger difference. But that is just my opinion, i will not get a ds till i get a blower.

Aluminum should be just as good as CF and alot less $$$.

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
Ds is a great upgrade but there are soooo many more mods to be done first and that will make a bigger difference. But that is just my opinion, i will not get a ds till i get a blower.

Aluminum should be just as good as CF and alot less $$$.
Meh, I disagree, I believe there is a lot to be had from aluminum DS. Less parasitic drivetrain loss, vehicle will run more efficiently and there will be less stress on the entire power train due to less mass being rotated, not to mention it frees up rwhp.

Now the order in which you buy it is completely up to you

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Meh, I disagree, I believe there is a lot to be had from aluminum DS. Less parasitic drivetrain loss, vehicle will run more efficiently and there will be less stress on the entire power train due to less mass being rotated, not to mention it frees up rwhp.

Now the order in which you buy it is completely up to you
I never said that it was a bad buy or a waste of money, all i said the order which he is doing it is unusual but like you said it is completely up to the owner.

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
I never said that it was a bad buy or a waste of money, all i said the order which he is doing it is unusual but like you said it is completely up to the owner.
What order is he buying mods? I don't know what other mods he has. Honestly if you want more power and better economy, this is probably one of the best ways to go, doesn't even require a tune.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
What order is he buying mods? I don't know what other mods he has. Honestly if you want more power and better economy, this is probably one of the best ways to go, doesn't even require a tune.
He just got it a week or so ago i believe. How much is the mpg difference with the ds??

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
He just got it a week or so ago i believe. How much is the mpg difference with the ds??
Little to none.

While an aluminum drive shaft is a good upgrade there are many other things I'd do first. The OP needs to give us a lot more info like if he has an auto or manual, what he's already done, and what is the cars primary goal?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, right now I have an mgw shifter, axlebacks and boss side exhaust. I will not do anything that will void the warranty. Ultimately, I am installing the roush blower with a complete suspension setup. It's a manual track pack gt. I was thinking carbon fiber because I heard that they were lighter and don't cause as much noise. Price isn't a big deal as long as the CF is not more than 450 over the aluminum.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Ok, right now I have an mgw shifter, axlebacks and boss side exhaust. I will not do anything that will void the warranty. Ultimately, I am installing the roush blower with a complete suspension setup. It's a manual track pack gt. I was thinking carbon fiber because I heard that they were lighter and don't cause as much noise. Price isn't a big deal as long as the CF is not more than 450 over the aluminum.
I am pretty sure a DS would void your warranty even tho it is lighter or whatever. Because you are messing directly with the drivetrain.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
McQueen said:
I am pretty sure a DS would void your warranty even tho it is lighter or whatever. Because you are messing directly with the drivetrain.
Darn. Can the stock driveshaft handle 575 crank hp?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually, I have a good relationship with my dealer. Maybe they will let me use the aftermarket driveshaft. Anyways, can't I just reinstall the stock one when I go in?

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Actually, I have a good relationship with my dealer. Maybe they will let me use the aftermarket driveshaft. Anyways, can't I just reinstall the stock one when I go in?
Yeah you can ask them, some won't care.

And yes you can reinstall it. Just seems like a full on PITA.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
alrefire said:
How are you going to hit 575 hp without voiding warranty
Roush supercharger phase1 . Keeps your power train warranty. Ill just go with the DSS since no one has posted their opinion of a CF driveshaft.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts