Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I'm wanting to put some gears in my 2011 gt 5.0 to give it a little more throttle response. I've got stock gears now but thinking of getting a set of 3.73 but not sure. I drive a lot of highway miles since my work is 45 min. Away. But like to play around on the weekends. Not sure on what to get. Don't want to kill my gas mileage either thou. Help
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,133 Posts
My barely noticed any hit on my gas mileage. It's not like it kills it by 5mpg. I went with 4.10 and by what you wrote then 3.73 would be good
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,889 Posts
I'm thinking about it as well from 3.31... I got used to my car now and I feel that theres not enough low end torque, this is definitely my next mod but I'm trying to find a quality shop that does Mustangs... I'm not one to leave my car at a shop for mods unless I really don't know what I'm doing and for this u really need to know your stuff and I don't want mine to be a guinea pig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
gtstyles2 said:
I'm thinking about it as well from 3.31... I got used to my car now and I feel that theres not enough low end torque, this is definitely my next mod but I'm trying to find a quality shop that does Mustangs... I'm not one to leave my car at a shop for mods unless I really don't know what I'm doing and for this u really need to know your stuff and I don't want mine to be a guinea pig
If you plan on going Forced Induction in the future, i would keep the 3.31 gears. I think the 3.73 will wind out too quick unless you have a auto. But if you plan on staying Naturally Aspirated go 3.73 or 4.10
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,889 Posts
Ravnus said:
If you plan on going Forced Induction in the future, i would keep the 3.31 gears. I think the 3.73 will wind out too quick unless you have a auto. But if you plan on staying Naturally Aspirated go 3.73 or 4.10
Yea I thought about that too, I don't plan to go FI for a good while so I think it's perfect for me right now... And I'm also running the stock intake manifold. I'll definitely keep my original 3.31 on the side if I ever decide going FI... I'm wondering how drastic is the change ,if its worth it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,791 Posts
gtstyles2 said:
Yea I thought about that too, I don't plan to go FI for a good while so I think it's perfect for me right now... And I'm also running the stock intake manifold. I'll definitely keep my original 3.31 on the side if I ever decide going FI... I'm wondering how drastic is the change ,if its worth it
It's definitely worth it. I noticed a change just from 3.55s to 3.73s. I imagine it would be even more dramatic going from 3.31s to 3.73s. If you want the most bang for your buck and I know your car is not a DD, put 4.10s in it. You'll be amazed by the difference and wonder why you waited so long to do the swap.
Good luck Greg,
-Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,551 Posts
I went 3.31 to 3.73 and there was about a 1mpg difference total. I drive about 30 mins highway to work now. You street MPG definitely gets better tho.

As for performance, it is a drastic improvement. Worth every penny to change to 3.73.

4.10 if you drive highway would be terrible. Your gas mileage would just die.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
nosympathy said:
I went 3.31 to 3.73 and there was about a 1mpg difference total. I drive about 30 mins highway to work now. You street MPG definitely gets better tho.

As for performance, it is a drastic improvement. Worth every penny to change to 3.73.

4.10 if you drive highway would be terrible. Your gas mileage would just die.
I have 4.10s and my gas mileage didn't die lol. Mines dropped maybe 1 or 2(at the most)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,791 Posts
Mweigt07 said:
What about 3.90s?
3.90s are a great gear, in theory. But frpp doesn't make them and any other gear has tendency to want to whine real bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
My car has a 3.90 gear in it, per the previous owner. It picks up and goes quicker, but it does whine pretty bad. Between it and the exhaust drone, it gets pretty obnoxious on road trips. I either want to have my 3.90 gear reinstalled (at least I will know it was done properly) and see if that takes care of the whine or go to 3.73. I haven't decided yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,507 Posts
I'm pro 4.10 all the way. Read the threads in my signature for more info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,889 Posts
DWC_SmOziLLa said:
It's definitely worth it. I noticed a change just from 3.55s to 3.73s. I imagine it would be even more dramatic going from 3.31s to 3.73s. If you want the most bang for your buck and I know your car is not a DD, put 4.10s in it. You'll be amazed by the difference and wonder why you waited so long to do the swap.
Good luck Greg,
-Dave
Cool thanks Dave, I heard the same from ppl going 3.55 to 3.73... I'm gonna go with 3.73s but looking for a good Mustang shop to do it, I'm no good with that stuff... I'm guessing parts and labor it'll be $700 the most?
 

·
The Blue Dragon
Joined
·
5,661 Posts
I do not have comparisons but the nature of a shorter gear is to get the vehicle into the powerband more quickly and also provides better tq multiplication.

Think of it like bike gears, the bigger gears have more teeth and make it easier to accelerate faster and harder, same thing with rear axle gear ratios, they have more teeth and do the same thing.

Not sure of the difference but I usually hear its a couple to a few tenths
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
GrabberBlue5.0 said:
I do not have comparisons but the nature of a shorter gear is to get the vehicle into the powerband more quickly and also provides better tq multiplication.

Think of it like bike gears, the bigger gears have more teeth and make it easier to accelerate faster and harder, same thing with rear axle gear ratios, they have more teeth and do the same thing.

Not sure of the difference but I usually hear its a couple to a few tenths
Thanks good explanation i've been wanting to got a 3:73 or 3:55 nothing to crazy its a daily driver for my wife :-/ and its also an auto:-( would being an auto be a concern with higher gears?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
4.10's :headbang: running revs at 26+ at 70+
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top