Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so i have this whistling under the hood, sounds like it could be a vacuum leak or an intake leak maybe. I was wondering if anyone knew of a common problem area for this. It sounds like its comming from around the EGR area (at least thats where it sounds the loudest to me) and if it is an intake leak (between the intake and EGR, or between the upper and lower intake) can someone give me some ideas on a good way to repair it

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Ghostedmind said:
Alright, so i have this whistling under the hood, sounds like it could be a vacuum leak or an intake leak maybe. I was wondering if anyone knew of a common problem area for this. It sounds like its comming from around the EGR area (at least thats where it sounds the loudest to me) and if it is an intake leak (between the intake and EGR, or between the upper and lower intake) can someone give me some ideas on a good way to repair it

Thanks guys[/QUOTE

Is this an after market intake if so then some of them have a natural whistle if it is not then I would take it of and put it back on extra tight

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a K&N intake but thats not where the whistle is comming from, this is a new sound that hasn't been there before (K&N has been on the car since i bought it a year ago) other than that the upper and lower intake is stock.

·
Registered
293 Posts
With the car running... spray some gumout (or any carb cleaner) around the intake... if the car's idle revs a bit, then you found where your vacuum leak is... spray around all your intake hoses, gaskets... etc

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the car running... spray some gumout (or any carb cleaner) around the intake... if the car's idle revs a bit, then you found where your vacuum leak is... spray around all your intake hoses, gaskets... etc
Ok, so i tried this, and nothing. Is there anything else that someone knows coud cause this sound? water pump maybe? its the loudest right around the EGR valve

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
yeah could just be a shot egr gasket...go grab you a new one and swap it out...a couple bucks to at least see if it's the issue

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just incase anyone else has the same issue, i replaced the EGR gasket and it fixed the problem, once i got it off it was obvious that was the issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts