Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that they are but why. And also is there anyway to make them "legal". Because I'm looking to get cams and you "need" long tube headers for the cams and I'm trying to stay street legal thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From AmericanMuscle.com

image-1331350492.jpg

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I don't think the long tubes are illegal, however the o/r x pipe might be in your area. just get high flow cats, if it really is that big of a deal

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't know state by state, but the reason in California is because the long tubes prevent the cats from getting hot enough to preform their function properly.

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
I think required is a bit of a stretch, just like I'm pretty sure the gears are not required. Sure it may help certain issues with the vehicle, maybe they put that on there so they have less people calling and complaining saying "hey, why is my car doing this now?"

Not saying you shouldn't or that its a bad idea. Please someone explain to me why you would NEED LT's.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
ChrisMustangs said:
I know that they are but why. And also is there anyway to make them "legal". Because I'm looking to get cams and you "need" long tube headers for the cams and I'm trying to stay street legal thanks!
GrabberBlue5.0 said:
Never heard of "needing" long tubes for cams, where did you get that info?
GrabberBlue5.0 said:
I think required is a bit of a stretch, just like I'm pretty sure the gears are not required. Sure it may help certain issues with the vehicle, maybe they put that on there so they have less people calling and complaining saying "hey, why is my car doing this now?"

Not saying you shouldn't or that its a bad idea. Please someone explain to me why you would NEED LT's.
So I've heard. If I remember correctly for the breathing purposes, better idle. (So I've heard)

·
Loc: Austin,TX
5,980 Posts
LTs help it breathe better and you won't see that good of a gain in HP without them. Cams....good. Cams paired with LTs......better.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so we know now that they are not required just recommended. But are they illegal if seen in some places they are allowed for off road use only?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Longtubes are considered illegal since they change the position of the cats (they move them back a few inches) and any modifications to the emissions system of these cars is considered illegal. I know some places that will spot fail you on an emissions inspection. In states that don't have emissions inspections, it probably won't be an issue.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you know if Missouri passes or fails you?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I know here in Virginia they don't actually hook up a tester to see how your emissions are, they just look for the cats... Now I am sure that if you go in running rich as hell they may fail you...

They are probably advertising that you should get the LTs and gears with the cams to get the full potential out of the cams.. Kinda like 1+2=3...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Do you know if Missouri passes or fails you?
I couldn't tell you specifically, I know in same places around Louisiana, they'll fail you on a visual. If you get a catted mid pipe, most tuners will turn the rear O2s off and that will cause a system not ready through the OBD2 inspection portion. If you have a shop like brenspeed, bama, or whoever write tune for you when you get longtubes, have them keep the rear O2 sensors activated. The O2 sims do not work on 05-09 cars FYI.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Destination S19 said:
I couldn't tell you specifically, I know in same places around Louisiana, they'll fail you on a visual. If you get a catted mid pipe, most tuners will turn the rear O2s off and that will cause a system not ready through the OBD2 inspection portion. If you have a shop like brenspeed, bama, or whoever write tune for you when you get longtubes, have them keep the rear O2 sensors activated. The O2 sims do not work on 05-09 cars FYI.
Well you can buy LT's on American muscle with O2 sensor extensions would that make a difference?

·
Registered
213 Posts
In Arkansas we have no emission laws at all, but there's always the chance of a law getting passed outlawing your long pipes which would be a complete waste of money.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
PRoss.20 said:
In Arkansas we have no emission laws at all, but there's always the chance of a law getting passed outlawing your long pipes which would be a complete waste of money.
Ex post facto
I think it's apply

·
Registered
179 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts