Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are t-top cars extremely rare? Does anyone still make them? If not, why did they stop?

I know virtually every major american manufacture made cars with t-tops at one point. Why are the so rare now days? I own a 1986 Mustang GT hatch with T-tops, but i've seen very few T-top cars other than my own and a couple of Trans Ams/ Camaros and a few old 300zx's. Also, if you happen to know where I can find another T-top Fox body 'stang, I'd appreciate it, As i am in need of some parts.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Why are t-top cars extremely rare? Does anyone still make them? If not, why did they stop?

As far as I know, no major auto maker makes t-tops today. However, some custom shops might but it will cost dearly. T-tops have fallen out of favor for several reasons. First of all, the people who would buy something like that today just buy regular convertibles. Some t-tops also had problems with leaking and safety. About the closest thing you could find to a modern t-top is a Jeep Wrangler.

You could probably find restoration parts with any major parts depot (especially those specializing in muscle cars).

·
Registered
40 Posts

In addition to the problems mentioned, t-tops are also pretty inconvenient to store when you remove them. It's a pretty bad solution compared to something like a power retractable, which is all the rage now.

They were never very popular outside the boy-racer market segment, which includes all the cars you mention.

Just FYI, the Corvette still has a targa top. I wonder if it's the only targa still being made.

·
Registered
41 Posts

T-Tops are notoriously leaky. But, I still love the way they look.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts