Mustang Evolution Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
I may be worth pulling the defective one and taking it to Ford for a comparison. It supposedly fits the 5.0 as well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I may be worth pulling the defective one and taking it to Ford for a comparison. It supposedly fits the 5.0 as well.
yeah I saw that the 5.0 version sells for a fraction of the cost as the 3.7 version and thought about getting it. I guess it would probably be a good idea to ask my local dealership if there is any difference.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I replaced my fan in my 2012 with this one from Amazon and it work great, better than OEM IMHO! The bearings went bad in my fan so you might as well replace the fan, especially it it has been overworked.

http://amzn.to/2IB8Np4
Hey, that's a great find. I don't need one, but I added it to my Amazon Wish List for the future. :thumb:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I replaced my fan in my 2012 with this one from Amazon and it work great, better than OEM IMHO! The bearings went bad in my fan so you might as well replace the fan, especially it it has been overworked.

Hey, that's a great find. I don't need one, but I added it to my Amazon Wish List for the future.
When you turn your car off, listen for any squeaking when the fan is shutting down. Mine was barely making any noise as it wound down, but I knew something was not right. When I pulled the OEM fan, it had ball bearings loose and wedged in places they shouldn't have been.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

it's kind of hard for me to tell, does this come with the resistor? The pictures on amazon are so small. If it does this would be great for me!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
I thought my fan ran all the time because every time I checked it my A/C was on. This morning it's a cool 67 degrees outside. After reading this Thread, I started my Mustang (first start of the day) with the A/C 'off'. The fan did not come on, I let it run for a couple minutes then shut the motor off. I then restarted the motor with the A/C on. The fan came on, the motor was still cold. I then shut the motor off and turned the A/C off and started the motor again. The fan didn't come on. So I guess it's safe to say, the fan runs all the time when your A/C is on :)
Your the best David, I appreciate all the help you have given me over the years. I still have to get this fixed and I have found out that the GT and the V6 resistor wire harness should be the same. I am going to try the GT version given the cost difference and hope it works. I am not going to take it to a 3rd yes 3RD shop to have it diagnosed and spend more money for no results. What a fkn waste

For anyone interested I guess this seems to be a more common issue then I had first known. Check this link and image from this website Ford 2011-2014 Mustang Cooling Fan Resistor Replacement Pigtail

I guess this is what happens when the fan completely stops working and burns out. THAT LOOKS HORRENDOUS!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yes, the speed resistor is located on the fan assembly right by the connector plug. Most all aftermarket fans include it.
I am about to order the resistor wire harness for the GT500 model or possibly the 2013-2014 year looks very similar. I will let you know the results. IIRC my dealership told me the they were the same when I went in to have the parts priced.

This is the 2011 one

and this is the 2013-2014 one

the only difference seems to be the 1st letter in the part number

2011 is BR3Z8L603A
2013 IS DR3Z8L603A

21 - 33 of 33 Posts