Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple as that. Its the 2.3l non-turbo version, but when I accelerate "fast" (turtles are fast too!) it burns oil. I'm thinking its something to do with old rings/seals around the cylinders and then oil blows by. Anyone have an idea? and how to fix it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well the only 2 possibilities are valve guides or piston rings, and the way to tell is with a compression test. You can repeat the test with a table spoon of oil in each cylinder, and if it improves, then it is the rings and not the guides. Guides are a lot easier to do, because you only have to take the head off.
For rings you really need a whole rebuild.
However, it is possible the rings are just carboned in and sticking, but I don't know a good way to clean them.

All I can suggest is switching to Castrol 20w-50 oil, and frequent changes to clean it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Could have ring trouble but check all of the PCV system to see if it is blocked or somehow bad. This can blow oil into the air filter box then the engine ingests and burns it with the air/fuel. More throttle, more pressure, more oil, more smoke.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.