Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 GT AC compressor has been making progressively more noise. When I turn off the heating/cooling panel power in the car, the AC compressor clutch turns off and the noise stops-I can see it stop spinning.

Ok, so my AC compressor is dying. But my question for the group is why when it is 25 degrees out and I have the heat set to max, does the AC compressor clutch engage at all? Not wanting to have the AC compressor eat itself and spread metal through the cooling system, I unplugged the wire to the AC compressor clutch and now no noise and all the heat I want, which is all I'm going to need here in Chicago for many months. But does the AC compressor engaging all the time mean there is some other problem I should fix? It doesn't seem like a good thing for the AC system to be running super cold outside air. But since the AC compressor clutch disengages when I turn off the heating/cooling panel power, all that seems fine. (Having the AC compressor engage, also means the radiator electric fans run up to max as well, which is also hardly what I want on 0 degree days in Chicago.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have never owned a vehicle that did not run the AC compressor when the defroster is on regardless of the outside air temp. It used to condense the moisture out of the air to keep the cabin humidity down.

BTW, I do not use the auto setting ever in my Mustang just so the fan does not change speed.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. My first few cars didn't even have AC, so I can't say that. Once I get my compressor fixed, I'm going to install a kill switch to turn it off in the winter: I don't want my cabin dehumidified in the winter when the dry air annoys my nose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts