Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does it seem like no one wants to take the time to build their own stuff? Every post I see someone is suggesting a long block or an off the shelf set of heads or something from a shelf! Learn your motors. Spec your own cams. Know what you are doing. Have pride in your car knowing that you know every single inch of it from the crank to the valve covers. Am I the only one who is tired of this off the shelf mail order tune junk that people drive down the street and call it fast?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess. That's just not the way I was brought into the car world. We built hot rods from the frame up. So naturally I have continued to build my cars with my two hands from top to bottom. I just wish people would put love and time into their cars like it used to be.

·
Registered
437 Posts
When I was younger and watched my dad work on cars I always wonderd why he didnt just have some one else do it. I really did not understand untill I got my stang last summer. A lot of the fun in a car is experimenting and seeing what you can get out of the car like the old days. Unforunantly its harder to do now days due to the computers but some day when I have the money I would love to hook my car up to a computer and let it allow me to make deciosions not some person in a shop.

·
Premium Member
6,003 Posts
I think part of it is because nobody wants to put the time and effort of building everything themselves. A while back my dad described today's society as a microwave society, they want everything dome now. nobody wants to have to wait for the oven to finish even though it's results in a better product .

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
Not everyone can do so with full time jobs, families and other things in life. Some just want to enjoy their Mustang from the start instead of having to worry through a build process such as the one you described.

Also, not everyone was raised a gear head. There are all kinds of Mustang enthusiasts out there.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I will definitely be doing this once I have a house to myself and can provide a full shop in said house! :)

If you like hand made things, there's an article I think in the October edition of Hot Rod about a guy that completely built an entire 1st Gen cherry red Mustang by hand. Pretty damn amazing if you ask me.

So far as for handmade I do custom cosmetic interior/engine/trunk work for cheap! But as for exterior cosmetic I can paint but building/welding for cosmetic and performance will come soon.

Im also I'm process of building a 69 Fastback for drag/NMRA
Unfortunately ex has possession of the frame, three engines, aamco Tranny & summit tires. I'm still trying to get it back :'(

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Also just to throw this out there!.. For some of us, myself included, our Mustangs are our daily drivers!.. I don't have the time or money to do much experimenting myself!.. I rely on my car everyday!.. Any down time costs me money!.. So using an already proven combo is a wiser move!.. It doesn't mean I have any less love for my car than you do yours!.. And it doesn't mean you know any more about them then me!..

·
Registered
711 Posts
I don't think that's what he's saying. Plus it cost twice as much to pay someone to do the work for ya. Nothin wrong with using things that people know are good or work well together but I myself take that much more pride in knowing that I did the work.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Then what exactly is he saying!.. Because that's what it sounds like to me!.. By the way I do all my own wrench work unless it requires a special tool that I don't have the cash for!..

·
Registered
711 Posts
I understand that but I believe he's saying that it seems nobody wants to make the effort to do the work themselves and I have noticed it myself. Especially locally there are about 20 out of roughly 25 people I know with muscle that just pay for the work. I think it's just a generation of lazy people.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Lol. 20 out 25 people I know do all our own work ourselves!!... Lol. We are just to broke to pay any one!!... Lol. But I would still like for him to clarify his own statement!..

·
Registered
437 Posts
I agree, my car is a Daily Driver too but every thing I have done so far including the exterior was done by my dad and I in my drive way on a weekend.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I agree, my car is a Daily Driver too but every thing I have done so far including the exterior was done by my dad and I in my drive way on a weekend.
Same here
I wish I could do more to my car but since she is my daily driver I cant do anything that could take more than a day

But I do understand that most people today are pretty damn lazy and just wanna take their car to someone else, my fiance, sadly, being one of them
and I sometimes cant stand that
I hate anyone else touching my baby unless I cant fix it myself and have already tried

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not even saying it's bad to take it to someone else. Not everyone has the know how to pry a set of heads in their garage. I'm just saying make it unique spec your cam have ported heads not out of the box heads. Don't buy a crate spec your own engine block/ build.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Fast04 said:
I'm not even saying it's bad to take it to someone else. Not everyone has the know how to pry a set of heads in their garage. I'm just saying make it unique spec your cam have ported heads not out of the box heads. Don't buy a crate spec your own engine block/ build.
I know what your saying!.. But generally that can cost a bit more than buying something off the shelf!.. And personally I would rather get something that has been tested and proven!.. Vs I hope this will work and last a long time!.. Any down time for me is a b**** on multiple levels!.. Lol. In the end my engine may not be "unique" but my car as a whole will be!.. And to me that's what matter most!..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I understand what you are getting at with the down time. I'm also not saying a car
AR can't be mean can't be a fast car with off the shelf parts believe menu have seen plenty of crazy fast cars with nothing but throw it on parts. I am only saying I hope it doesn't disappear. The art of people building their own cars with their hands.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I understand what you are getting at with the down time. I'm also not saying a car
AR can't be mean can't be a fast car with off the shelf parts believe menu have seen plenty of crazy fast cars with nothing but throw it on parts. I am only saying I hope it doesn't disappear. The art of people building their own cars with their hands.
just curious did you spec your own cams? whats done to your car anyway lol?

only car i didnt build is my gt thats at the shop now because i dont have time to build a turbo kit and dont really want to. Dont have time to build a cage,wire tuck the engine bay,etc etc because i dont have the time and dont want to do it..

most people just dont have time to work on it...doesnt matter who hands build it as long as it does what it suppposed to do when you get it back is fine with me..

and what the hell are you talking about..ported heads and out the box heads? buyin ported heads still come in a box lol...trickflow heads come in a box and outflow ported heads sooo what are you talking about again lol?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts