Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm not getting this...

(assume perfect tunes)

pretend a car runs 7psi from 1.5k-6k rpms.

now... why would a small 35 wet shot for cooling/keep pinging away purposes be so bad?

yeah it'll raise cyl pressure but i wouldn't think this would be so bad. i've been warned without too much explanation that it's not a good idea. someone suggested 15-20 shot and that would be alright, but i need to understand this in full.

also, why would this be worse than say 11psi from 1.5k-6k rpms? i'm being told that even higher boost is better than mixing the two power adders.

anyone care to give it a shot:?:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
you can perfectly tune an 11psi kit to always accept 11psi of boost.... with the nitrous, because its not always on, you need two tunes. one for the 5psi and one for the 5psi plus nos. its just a little more complicated. plus, with nitrous, you want retarded timing where as with a blower, you can theoretically do advanced timing as long as you have enough octane. adding nitrous to an advanced timed engine will cause detonation, not prevent it. a 15-20 shot wont do enough in the cylinders to cause any noticable problems or even good.

also, nitrous adds 35rwhp (i know you have NX installed and they rate shots at the wheels), but it also adds like 50ft/lbs of tq. that instant amount of torque on an already boosted car is just s sudden jerk and can lead to damage. i know 50ft/lbs isnt a lot, but think of a stock bottom end already boosted, then throw the sudden kick of 50ft/lbs more in there. could snap the crank or blow your clutch or other things. the blower builds boost, so its a progressive gain which is easier on the engine

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i see. why did you suggest a 35 shot months ago... remember, i thought about selling it if the roots thing works out.

<--still confused.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
because you were getting a forged rotating assembly

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
even so, wouldn't it be more logical (if what i think i am being told is correct) to just up the boost and leave nitrous out of it, since the nitrous will hit harder than even a few more psi would, which would outdo the effects of nitrous as cooling/power adder factor?

ie. 14psi + 35 shot OR 18psi...

except...

14psi + 35 shot < 18psi...?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I think it depends more on the fuel with the NOS
more than anything. Provided the fuel is always there
with the juice I'd say 7 PSI + 35 shot is possibly gonna
be more of an intercooler effect than anything.
99^ being stronger than a pre-99 all around...
What is your year V6PStang???

I'd get the SC tune just right b4 I tried any juice for sure or :oops: :D

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
'00.

if there is a decent risk in doing this i will not do it until i have a motor waiting to replace the stock one.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
IMO it'd probably be great with a really good (safe) tune
but Monkey is right to play it safe, Dan Haga did a single port
SC and 75 shot, IMO he already had problems and the NOS
just hastened the failure of his engine. So he rebuilt and
made a bulletproof bottom end and now all is good!

What all mods are U looking at with the SC and NOS?
maybe we better look at the total picture, I was assuming
NO MODS but SC and NOS...
I know U want me to grind a cam, that might be too much all together!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we'll see first if the blower works and we'll be able to sell the kits. if that happens, i'll get the funding to go all out and build myself a 4.2l off of a sc block. for now though just a few here-and-there's, nothing major. i consider a cam essential though and after initial testing and dynoing i will put one in. my engine is stock and we want to test it as such. track times would be just with the blower of course but for fun on the side i thought a small shot would be alright... hopefully that clarifies things.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Just to be really safe, I'd save the juice for the purpose-built engine.
It would probably be OK without the cam on a boosted stocker, but
too many HP mods + boost + juice is begging the question :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
if you had a front mount intercooler you could always get a nx intercooler kit witch sprays nitrous or carbon dioxide (i think) into the fins of the intercooler to cool down the air. doesnt go into you motor but it cools the air. :wtf: dont know if it works or not

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
even water spray on the intercooler works well. But not at the track :wtf:

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
a supercharged stock motor with nitrious? lol correct me if im wrong but wouldnt there be some sort of explosion? :-?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts