Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
fresh2death said:
+1 Im with ya on this!
Just curious as to how you would paint them without taking them off and making sure paint didnt get into places that would allow them to not work properly. That being said how does one insure that covers dont come loose and fly off.
I think I will leave mine silver to march the rims.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Midnight2012 said:
Just curious as to how you would paint them without taking them off and making sure paint didnt get into places that would allow them to not work properly. That being said how does one insure that covers dont come loose and fly off.
They need to removed to be prepped correctly, overspray can be controlled with tape and paper.
:good:
They likely have some sort of set screw to hold them in place.

·
Registered
34 Posts
By would you buy caliper covers for $199 rather than paint for like $20
Well, even once painted the stock calipers don't look anywhere near as good as the covers. The covers mimic high-end 6(ish) piston performance/racing brake calipers, while the stock calipers on the Mustang are designed for acceptable performance, not good looks.

I do think that $200 for covers is extremely overpriced, but they do look loads better than merely painted OEM calipers, so...

--
FluxPrism

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
FluxPrism said:
Well, even once painted the stock calipers don't look anywhere near as good as the covers. The covers mimic high-end 6(ish) piston performance/racing brake calipers, while the stock calipers on the Mustang are designed for acceptable performance, not good looks.

I do think that $200 for covers is extremely overpriced, but they do look loads better than merely painted OEM calipers, so...

--
FluxPrism
I'm buying covers for mine since the last time I painted mine they got dirty and I couldn't exactly clean them because of the rims being in the way(drifter style) the paint pops but upon closer looks it still looks kinda cheesy.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I want to paint mine but I agree that in person the paint looks a bit cheap. G2 has a good paint that looks a bit better but a little pricy too. If the covers were cheaper I'd definitely consider them though.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Lazy comes to mind. I plead guilty!

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I think the covers look cheesy. I think paint looks better. When I paint mine, they'll probably be black so should look fine

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
Paint is a hell of a lot better. I used dupli color. My stang was down for a couple weeks in the summer so I had plenty of prep time!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Painted mine, while on the car. Over spray only got on the K-member, easily removed with rubbing alcohol. Used engine enamel, it's shiny but not dull and still looks good today.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
xhgwx said:
Painted mine, while on the car. Over spray only got on the K-member, easily removed with rubbing alcohol. Used engine enamel, it's shiny but not full and still looks good today.
Those do look bueno!

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
Not bad. I removed mine & cleaned/scrubbed them with brake cleaner and a wire brush and put like 5 - 6 coats I think. Let them dry a couple days

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
silvrskoundrel said:
Not bad. I removed mine & cleaned/scrubbed them with brake cleaner and a wire brush and put like 5 - 6 coats I think. Let them dry a couple days
I was driving in an hour, I clean with alcohol

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
When I painted mine I sprayed in a cup. Then took foam paint brush to brush on. Used Qtips for tight spots. No taping off. I also bought engine paint. More of selection at advance, $6.99 a can. Good up to 500 degrees.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Personal preference

I got the covers because I personally like the way they look and the fact that now I get way less brake dust on my wheels. (Especially the right front one)

Painting them would also look good if the calipers were not so butt ugly to begin with. The rough texture of the calipers hold the paint great but also holds the brake dust and makes it hard to keep the painted calipers clean and spiffy.
For myself, I like my very expensive caliper covers.

I did use "LOCKTITE" on the studs that hold my covers on to my caliper. Although they do have locking nuts.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
ronnie948 said:
I got the covers because I personally like the way they look and the fact that now I get way less brake dust on my wheels. (Especially the right front one)

Painting them would also look good if the calipers were not so butt ugly to begin with. The rough texture of the calipers hold the paint great but also holds the brake dust and makes it hard to keep the painted calipers clean and spiffy.

I did use "LOCKTITE" on the studs that hold my covers on to my caliper. Although they do have locking nuts.

Ronnie
I agree, up close the covers look better, good thought on Locktite, have to remember to use some whenever I can afford covers, lol.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
ronnie948 said:

Ronnie
Not to mention AM has clearance on the gloss black 3.7 ones. I'm looking into those. its read bad reviews as far as securing them. How did you go about it? I agree on the cleaning though. I didn't want to take my wheels off every two weeks to clean my brakes

1 - 20 of 58 Posts