Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few months when I have been filling my tank at the gas station, the freaking pump will randomly shut off after a few seconds of pumping. Sometimes a little gas will even overflow around the top of the filler. The only way I can keep it from shutting off is by just barely squeezing the handle and waiting forever for the tank to get full.

(and no, my tank isn't full, this is happening on a nearly empty tank :p: )

Is something wrong with my filler tube or something? Has anyone else ever heard of this happening?

Thanks.

·
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
7,212 Posts
CakeOrDeath? said:
For the past few months when I have been filling my tank at the gas station, the freaking pump will randomly shut off after a few seconds of pumping. Sometimes a little gas will even overflow around the top of the filler. The only way I can keep it from shutting off is by just barely squeezing the handle and waiting forever for the tank to get full.

(and no, my tank isn't full, this is happening on a nearly empty tank :p: )

Is something wrong with my filler tube or something? Has anyone else ever heard of this happening?

Thanks.
I have it happen every once in a while. All I do is kind of shift the position of the handle of the filler and adjust the angle of the filler tube and try again. Sometimes I have to adjust it more than once...but eventually it works. It all depends on the back pressure. Now, this might not be related to your problem, but I have the same symptoms every now and then and that is what I do to fix it.

EDIT: And when I have a nearly empty tank and this happens, I have to let it pump slow for a gallon or so and then it is all happy.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Yeh..something about the angle it's put in at...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
If the angle of the gas nozzle is rubbing against the inlet pipe then you won't get a good pressure flow. What I always do is put it and lift the nozzle as i pull it out just a tad. This will get the flow going which will make continuing it easier.

hopefully that makes sense :p:

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Whatever you do..be sure to finish before pulling out... :D

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
WhiteStang99 said:
Hell NAW! You better pull out before you finish!
better safe than sorry!! :lol:

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Mine has a auto shut-off lol

·
Registered
166 Posts
you have a "Wierd-ass problem"

You might want to go see an "ass" doctor!

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Ass doctor? I'd rather go without..the doctor that is, not my ass

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Unlike the filler tubes of old that had a big tube with a reduced size hole for the pump nozzle to fit in the 94 and up stangs use a very small tube going to the tank not much bigger than the nozzle. This causes the pump to get a back pressure sensing and shuts off. It is a safety feature so you need to make adjustments to the position of the nozzle. I think what causes it more than anything is the shape or bend of the pump nozzle and how it fits doen the filler tube

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Grrrrr......

It did it again today at the same gas station.

It took like 15 minutes to fill my tank......

It's ok tho, the joy of my new Sylvania Silverstars and my new CAI (when it gets back from the powdercoaters) will cancel out the insane rage brewing becuase of this gas tank thing.

Maybe it is just their pumps, I suppose I should try a different station. I swear I never had this problem when fueling at this station when I first got my car, I dunno.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Next time you go there take a tape measure and measure the length of the nozzle and notice the curve or bend of the nozzle and compare it to stations you dont have probelms with. Also the pump back pressure sensing unit my be set to sensitive

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Danger Dude said:
Next time you go there take a tape measure and measure the length of the nozzle and notice the curve or bend of the nozzle and compare it to stations you dont have probelms with. Also the pump back pressure sensing unit my be set to sensitive
Yeah, I've taken it to another station before, so I'll have to try that out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok.

I'm still having the same problem and now it has finally gotten to the point where it is annoying me enough that I'm going to try and fix it.

It doesn't matter what gas station I go to , it has the same problem.

I'm thinking that maybe one of the vent lines is kinked because I had the rubber gasket between the fuel filler neck and the tank replaced a few months ago (not at a Ford dealership) and maybe when they put the tank back on they ****ed up and bent the line.

I'm going to try and take my car in to the Ford dealership to see if they can take a look at it.

Any idea how long it will take them to do this? Can i get my car back before Monday? (assuming they only have to drop the tank and straighten out the line or something like that)

·
Registered
298 Posts
I know some people's cars that do this but only at specific gas stations. Sometimes it's annoying as hell cause it takes like 15 minutes sometimes. I've had mine do it at some 76 stations. Let us know what the problem was after it's fixed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts