Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope you guys can help. I have a 2012 3.7 Mustang. I took it to the Ford garage for a few issues. It’s was misfiring pretty bad so I had them look at it. They replaced the plugs, the number three coil and it was still misfiring so they replaced the number three injector and did a fuel system clean. Running much better now. BUT, now my driver front window is acting funny. It won’t do the auto up and down when you open the door. But when I go to roll down the window the switch is backwards and only moves an inch at a time. So if I pull UP on the switch the window will roll down an inch then stop. I can inch the window all the way down like this. And if I push DOWN on the switch it does the same to roll up. An inch at a time. Since the switch is now backwards I can’t do the reset for the window. Window was working perfect before I took it in. Can anyone tell me how to fix this and why it’s happening? I figure a fuse would stop it from working all together and wouldn’t make the switch work backwards etc. please help!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I hope you guys can help. I have a 2012 3.7 Mustang. I took it to the Ford garage for a few issues. It’s was misfiring pretty bad so I had them look at it. They replaced the plugs, the number three coil and it was still misfiring so they replaced the number three injector and did a fuel system clean. Running much better now. BUT, now my driver front window is acting funny. It won’t do the auto up and down when you open the door. But when I go to roll down the window the switch is backwards and only moves an inch at a time. So if I pull UP on the switch the window will roll down an inch then stop. I can inch the window all the way down like this. And if I push DOWN on the switch it does the same to roll up. An inch at a time. Since the switch is now backwards I can’t do the reset for the window. Window was working perfect before I took it in. Can anyone tell me how to fix this and why it’s happening? I figure a fuse would stop it from working all together and wouldn’t make the switch work backwards etc. please help!
I would try removing the battery cable for 10 minutes and reattaching it. That may reset the computer that controls the window. It's worth a try. Otherwise it is back to Ford I'm afraid. This link has info on power windows..Ford Mustang Owners Manual: Power windows - Windows and Mirrors

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would try removing the battery cable for 10 minutes and reattaching it. That may reset the computer that controls the window. It's worth a try. Otherwise it is back to Ford I'm afraid. This link has info on power windows..Ford Mustang Owners Manual: Power windows - Windows and Mirrors
I’ll give that a shot. Thanks. I just want to hope the Ford garage isn’t ripping me off. I called them and they said “oh yeah, the tech noticed an issue with the window but we assumed you knew about it”. No, there was no issue when I took it in. Of course they won’t take responsibility. There’s a SMALL chance the switch went out while they had it but, c’mon, really?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ll give that a shot. Thanks. I just want to hope the Ford garage isn’t ripping me off. I called them and they said “oh yeah, the tech noticed an issue with the window but we assumed you knew about it”. No, there was no issue when I took it in. Of course they won’t take responsibility. There’s a SMALL chance the switch went out while they had it but, c’mon, really?
well, I did that and the window quit moving altogether. I kept fiddling around with it. Did the reset even though the window wouldn’t work but I could hear the motor move when I pulled the switch. restarted the car and it started working! It did the slight roll down when I opened the door and didn’t go back up so I did the reset again and now it’s working good again! Thank you

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am not sure about the Mustangs as my 08 only has 36,000 or so miles. The older Explorers had an issue with the wires going from the door into the cabin. They were very small and would eventually crack from all of the bending. I once bought a switch and it did not fix the issue. Slid the boot over the wires back and found a broken wire inside. As a matter of fact I just had an issue with one of the rear door windows. After opening and closing the door a few times it went up. I will have to look into it once the weather gets a little warmer. I hope that it stays working for you.

·
Registered
415 Posts
well, I did that and the window quit moving altogether. I kept fiddling around with it. Did the reset even though the window wouldn’t work but I could hear the motor move when I pulled the switch. restarted the car and it started working! It did the slight roll down when I opened the door and didn’t go back up so I did the reset again and now it’s working good again! Thank you
You are welcome, I'm glad it is fixed. It could be possible that your battery voltage is low and that is why starting it up made the windows work again. The computers are very fussy about low voltages. I think they shut stuff down if they detect it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts