44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what I have.
1991 Mustang 5.0
Brand new stage 3 racing clutch
Triple adjustable cable and quadrant setup
Fresh Royal purple synthetics

Trans is the problem.
Its a high performance T5 that was upgraded with the 2.95 gears set.
I bought it used and it was supposed to be in good working order most of the syncros are ate up and it grinds when shifted into 3rd and forth and will not stay in secord. 5th is pretty good.

Now I have to go to Michigan and I am wondering if I will make it by just skipping second and doing my best to syncronize it myself and then just cruise in 5th up I-75 to Michigan and then fix it when I get there.
I think it should make it but I have dont have much experiance with stick shift since my Mustang was an auto before I put the T5 in. I just need it to last 1500 highway miles.

·
Registered
45 Posts
On 75 the hills in Kentucky can be a problem but if you have 4th gear (direct drive) and 5th, you can make it. Just don't get off 75 on any of those steep exits north of Jellico.
Synchronizing the higher gears can be done by using a slow smooth hand and sliding the shifter into gear gently as the rpm drops as you let off the throttle. You do not need to use the clutch for 3-4-5. You just need to match speeds.
Just a note on I 75,
I used to know it like the back of my hand.
I ran out of gas south of Corbin, one time, and coasted downhill 6 miles into Corbin and rolled almost all the way to the pump.
That was with a fully loaded truck. I was moving from Miami to Pontiac.
It was just as the sun rose on a early Sunday morning.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would think it would make it! Buy why be in Po Dunk USA if it went out and have the local dodge guy try an fix it. I'd stick to someone I trusted. The OD went on my AOD on a trip and it was fixed but I did not get the GT AOD in return. I could have made it in third with no overdrive but, I'd rather be someplace where I trusted them, than not. Warranty work 1000 mile away is not to handy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts