Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wonder if I can fit a '97 Cobra rear on my '95? The Cobras got IRS though :wtf:

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
the cobra didnt get IRS until 99

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it will just bolt right on then, or do I got to modify something? Guess I got to change the drive shaft too, don't I?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
ok, if its from a 97 cobra, it will be a direct bolt-on. if its from a 99+ cobra, it will not fit w/o about $1000 worth of other stuff

before 1999, the cobras had live axles like we do. since 1999, they have switched to the IRS. if it is the solid axle, then all you have to do is unbolt the lower control arms, upper control arms, shocks and driveshaft, then put the new rear end. you wont need to swap driveshafts, since fox bodies, they have been the same length.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's from a 97 cobra

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
it will bolt right up to your car then. its a direct swap

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well now you guys got me thinking, what if I wanted to put a (80's-90's) Cougar or t-bird IRS under a '88 mustang?

I know they exist, I have been told that it is a direct bolt in.. does anybody know for sure?

Also which center carrier do they have 8.8 or 7.5 or other?

-ron

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
they exist, but its not a direct swap. you need the conrtorl arms, the exhaust, the driveshaft, the shocks, the springs and some other things. IRS completly changes around the rear geometry and where everything goes.

im 99% sure theyre 8.8s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts