Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 15x10 with I think 6.5 Backspace ..

I currently have 275/50/15 BFG Drags..

Was going to go 275/65/15 but saw
325/50/15 .. Curious if they would rub..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
I think a 315 is as wide as we can go on this body style but I'm sure someone else will chime in
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,133 Posts
Sonicblue11 said:
Will 305s make you lose hp? More tire more rotation
Never heard of a bigger tire making you loose hp, the wider the tire the more grip you have so you can put the power down
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
Venomouz831 said:
Never heard of a bigger tire making you loose hp, the wider the tire the more grip you have so you can put the power down
Yeah that's what I thought as well haha my friend keeps telling me if I go with 305s i will lose hp haha so I figured I'd just put it out there
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,133 Posts
Sonicblue11 said:
Yeah that's what I thought as well haha my friend keeps telling me if I go with 305s i will lose hp haha so I figured I'd just put it out there
Lol no he must be on something, I have 305's and didn't feel a power loss
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
Technically the wider the tire the more weight and you would lose hp from rotational mass. But it would be such a tiny amount you wouldn't even notice. Much like a light weight flywheel but on a much smaller scale.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
t0t4lbl4ck0ut said:
Technically the wider the tire the more weight and you would lose hp from rotational mass. But it would be such a tiny amount you wouldn't even notice. Much like a light weight flywheel but on a much smaller scale.
Then u could go on a diet, loose 5lb and gain that rwhp back
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,104 Posts
Actually, losing a pound of rotating mass is like losing 10x that in dead weight... So lets say you can save 2lbs a wheel, you're in a way saving about 80lbs all around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
I think i was told for every 3 pounds of rotating mass is equal to 27 pounds... dont quote me on the exact numbers but i def heard something like that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
Anyway the added rotational mass is a necessary evil. Illustration: two identical mustangs, one has nitto555 drag radials 12" wide and the other has bicycle tires...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,104 Posts
irishn8 said:
Anyway the added rotational mass is a necessary evil. Illustration: two identical mustangs, one has nitto555 drag radials 12" wide and the other has bicycle tires...
I get that, but if you have a car with say 400rwhp, 10 in slicks should be just as good as 12in slicks if you're a good driver.

---------- Post added at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 AM ----------

sam minnick said:
I think i was told for every 3 pounds of rotating mass is equal to 27 pounds... dont quote me on the exact numbers but i def heard something like that
3lbs/27lbs is 1/9, almost the same as the ratio I mentioned, so yes, you heard correctly. It's something in that range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Even if your tire and wheel is heavier if you got more rubber on the ground and thats better traction... so to me having better traction is worth spinning a little bit more weight..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,104 Posts
sam minnick said:
Even if your tire and wheel is heavier if you got more rubber on the ground and thats better traction... so to me having better traction is worth spinning a little bit more weight..
But there comes a point where you don't need more than a certain amount of rubber. Not everybody needs to be rolling on 325 drag radials.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Sonicblue11 said:
Yeah that's what I thought as well haha my friend keeps telling me if I go with 305s i will lose hp haha so I figured I'd just put it out there
No power loss indeed. Go with 305 they look sick as hell! I have the Nitto NT555 extreme drag radials 305/35/18 on my car. i say you go for it:p
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top