Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
It's to protect the window weather striping at the top of the door frame.

I used to have a 2 door dodge avenger and sometimes when you shut the door the window would not go under the weather stripping, it would sit on top and I would have to open the door again and shut while holding the window in place.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
primer2tone said:
It's to protect the window weather striping at the top of the door frame.

I used to have a 2 door dodge avenger and sometimes when you shut the door the window would not go under the weather stripping, it would sit on top and I would have to open the door again and shut while holding the window in place.
Ohhh.. Ford is smart.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
I've read also it prevents the window from breaking because on the older models there was nothing that really kept the glass stabile and some rare cases the glass would hit and break. Least, that's what happened on my friends 98.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Other cars do it too.

My Mini Cooper did it as well as my friend Jack's Porsche. You just do not want to push the door shut using the glass. Use the door handle or the door but never the glass.

You really got to watch your passengers when they get out and tell them not to use the glass to close the door.

There is no upper frame on these type of windows and pushing on the glass can cause a lot of wear and tear and loosen the glass in the channel giving you all sorts of problems in time.

Ronnie

·
Premium Member
6,120 Posts
ronnie948 said:
My Mini Cooper did it as well as my friend Jack's Porsche. You just do not want to push the door shut using the glass. Use the door handle or the door but never the glass.

You really got to watch your passengers when they get out and tell them not to use the glass to close the door.

There is no upper frame on these type of windows and pushing on the glass can cause a lot of wear and tear and loosen the glass in the channel giving you all sorts of problems in time.

Ronnie
Never thought of that, but I never close a car by it's glass. haha weird that I think of it now. I guess after owning 2 convertibles it's second a nature

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
Whitelightning said:
I've read also it prevents the window from breaking because on the older models there was nothing that really kept the glass stabile and some rare cases the glass would hit and break. Least, that's what happened on my friends 98.
Geez! How hard was your friend shutting his door? Lol

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
primer2tone said:
Geez! How hard was your friend shutting his door? Lol
Her* and she put her hand on the glass and just closed the door and it hit the weather stripping and cracked it to hell and back

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Keep doing it and it will happen.

If you are extremely very lucky it will be just fine closing the door by using the window glass.
**************************BUT***********************

If you are like the other 99% either you will have a problem such as the window will not work at all, a broken window, or the dreaded out of sync meaning the window will not go all the way up or all the way down until it is reprogrammed.

It is all to easy just to use the door handle
A little harder to train your passengers to do the same.

Ronnie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts