Mustang Evolution Forum banner

341 - 360 of 369 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #341
Also wondering what is a fair price to sell Furies for? Ebay they seem to be going in the $250 range? Maybe a little more? Have half a mind to throw my old water cooled r9 290 in there and see if I can sell these Furies first so I'm not stuck with them? Can't imagine too much performance loss from a max over clocked 290 vs a stock air fury? That newegg deal right now is just pretty damn good...

Sent from my Z978 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
So bascially looking at card prices... that Vega64 is $700 after rebate card, the Vega56 cheapest is like $575 or so. Then I'm seeing 1080s and 1070ti cards for even less. I have a Freesync monitor, not sure how much performance hit I'd take having to use Vsync again if I went Nvidia.

My other option is to try to unlock these things to FuryX and try to crank them up some. Any opinions on what card would be best for me for what I do right now (3440x1440 gaming)? Any good reads on how to unlock these cards or if its even worth it? I mean the single Fury ran Doom GREAT so I might be overthinking this.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
How to unlock Fury - https://wccftech.com/howto-checking-r9-fury-unlock-full-fury/

and this - Activation of cores in Hawaii, Tonga and Fiji (unlockability tester ver 1.6 and atomtool) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

It will let you know if it is even possible. If it is, it may be unstable or may work perfectly, also works with R9 290 into 290x.

That has all the articles and guides you will need to tweak the Fury cards. On a side not, I don't believe that modifying the HBM speeds and timings works anymore. If you are running an older driver, it will work (don't remember which driver maybe 16.10 - 17.3) but unlocking the extra shaders will still work and I think modifying the power limit still works as well.

Fiji Bios Editing ( Fury / Fury X / Nano / Radeon Pro Duo ) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

If you are worried about flashing the bios on the cards, just make sure that they have the dual bios switch and you shouldn't have any issues as you will always have the original bios. Also, backup the original bios and throw it up into the cloud or something.

Doom is an outlier for performance. It uses Vulkan and uses it more effectively than any other API or game engine has ever done. The new Doom engine is optimized for AMD cards and it truly shows. Other newer titles don't have anywhere near that level of optimization for AMD cards. In fact, it seems that most new games are at best neutral in performance between AMD and Nvidia (Far Cry 5) or are so poorly optimized for AMD that even a GTX 1060 3GB is faster than Fury x or even Vega 64 and that is simply pathetic on the developers part ( https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/zuZNWm74zCUzYRZGJLkgPB.png ).

As for the Freesync monitor with Nvidia card, screen tearing is noticeable if you can't keep the display at or above it's refresh rate, just like a regular monitor.

Jumping between the Titans and the Vega 56, the Vega card feels much smoother, which I believe is because performance stays within that Freesync range. That Vega 56 seems to run at 1590 mhz most of the time. Occasionally dropping down to 1520 mhz. It's still on stock reference cooler so haven't pushed it much, was able to hit 930 Mhz on the HBM (stock is 800) and 1640 Mhz on the core (stock is 1520 - 1590).

At this point, I think GPU prices are getting to the point of stabilizing. I would try tweaking the fury cards at this point and seeing how they feel. If you think you need more performance, try holding off till more specs are released on the 7nm Vega. News on that should be coming in the next few months. Same with Nvidia's next gen cards. It would suck to spend $500 - $700 on a new GPU and then in only a month or two having something new release that is 50% faster at the same price point.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #344 (Edited)
Ok gotcha. Thanks for the info. Will wait then, probably just do the BF thing again as I'm assuming they'll be out by then. Would def suck to buy a new card now if the 7nm ones are dropping. I just want to make sure it doesn't take as long as Vega took to come out lol.

edit: Ugh, maybe I should have went Nvidia/Gsync... 1070 with a water cooler back in 2016 was cheap and would still be kicking ***. Live and learn I guess. Although did some reading on Vega 20 and it looks like a nuclear option if the rumors are true so we'll see.

I have done some reading on the 56 and 64 current Vega and everything I'm seeing is saying if the price difference is substantial then get the 56 and you really won't miss any performance. I gotta see what these Furies look like on single card in other games besides Doom.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
So with BF a month out... Worth it to upgrade to Vega or just keep on sticking with the Furies. I don't really have any issues with games so... Probably give it another year?

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I've been away for a few days, I responded to your last post but for whatever reason that post never showed up in the thread.

Anyways.... BF I assume means Battlefield 5?

If so, then the Frostbite engine that runs BFV is known for scaling well in multi GPU setups. So, I would imagine that your two Fury cards would perform somewhere in the region of a 1080ti - 2080ti in that title. That would be with reduced textures. The 4GB of HBM just isn't enough to run the game at max settings and ultrawide resolutions. The only thing you will want to check is to make sure you are using an anti-aliasing that works in crossfire.

Other than that, seeing that Nvidia's Turing cards are overpriced garbage in older titles, I would hold off for AMD's 7nm Vega or Navi or Nvidia's refresh of the Turing cards.

That said, if you can sell your cards for decent cash and nab a Vega 56/64 or 1080/1080ti without spending much money, it may be worth it not having to worry about crossfire scaling.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #347
BF=black friday lol. But BFV is something I was going to get yes... I don't need max textures. Not even sure where to start with selling those Furies TBTH, besides like... ebay or try locally on the on-base market group since I'm in Spain. I can ship back to the USA just fine, it just takes about an extra 4-7 business days which might piss ppl off. I dunno.

But yeah for games that support crossfire well like Elite/GTAV/Ashes and a few others the performance of these things has been spectacular. But a lot of other stuff doesn't...

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
BF= Black Friday ..... haha.

I wouldn't count on much of a discount on bf for hardware. Peripherals and things, sure.

I wouldn't upgrade for anything less than a GTX1080/2070 or Vega running on water with power limit removed. Even then with those cards, you would only be looking at around a 30% jump in performance in single GPU games. So, imo, not worth it.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #349
Lol got it. Thanks man. I get good performance on single cards plus like you said, 1080ti performance (or close) in games that support xfire. Well that'll save me money this fall. I'll just put that money towards a Switch.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #350 (Edited)
What about any good monitor upgrades? Haven't really seen much of anything better than the 75hz 3440x1440 curved one I have now as far as freesync. I feel like for shooters I'm missing a lot of performance with the 75hz and some of my games don't support it but others are omfg amazing on it like Civ6, Grim Dawn, Witcher 3 etc...

#firstworldproblems

Any recommendations there or just stick with what I have which is the 75hz freesync LG 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #351 (Edited)
What about any good monitor upgrades? Haven't really seen much of anything better than the 75hz 3440x1440 curved one I have now as far as freesync. I feel like for shooters I'm missing a lot of performance with the 75hz and some of my games don't support it but others are omfg amazing on it like Civ6, Grim Dawn, Witcher 3 etc...

#firstworldproblems

Any recommendations there or just stick with what I have which is the 75hz freesync LG 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor.

edit: what aggravates me to no end is certain games like Starcraft 2, Overwatch and a few others just intentionally don't support 21:9 right now. I almost want to drop to a real good 27" or 29" 16:9 1440p monitor just for that reason alone. That and the refresh rate... 75hz is a little painful but again... #firstworldproblems

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The curse of the ultrawide..

IMO, there aren't any true monitor upgrades out there. 4k is higher resolution but it is also 16:9 ratio. Which is great for some things and not so great for others. Also, with that higher resolution comes the ever increasing problem of having enough GPU power to really push the panel at its native refresh.

The refresh on my Acer is also 75hz with freesync but I can overclock my panel to 96hz with no issues (I can push the monitor OC higher on Nvidia cards than I could AMD) . I have actually pushed up to 108hz but the panel isn't 100% stable and has issues with pixel flashing or just says it lost signal after a few minutes.

Going off memory, I think to OC your monitor with AMD GPU, right click on desktop, open the AMD software, then go to display, then custom resolution. Keep the resolutions the same but just bump up the refresh rate and try leaving the timings alone. Then save and apply. If it works, great... if not, wait 15 seconds and it will revert back to the previous settings. Also, try to keep the frequency divisible by 12 or 15 (ideally 24 or 30hz as most media is recorded at 24, 30 or 60 hz).

If I recall, I think that OCing a freesync display also changes the lower cut off where freesync starts working. So going from a 75hz display to 90hz with freesync working between 30 - 75hz, it will change to freesync working between 45-90hz or something like that.

I will agree that after having triple 144hz 1080p monitors, that going to a single 75hz panel was a real kick to the nuts but, the jump from a fast TN panel to a slower IPS one was worth it, just for color accuracy and contrast (also no bezels).

That said, outside of some of the insane high end 2560x1440 IPS panels (Asus PG279Q *IMO, best monitor on the market*) and similar spec monitors, there isn't anything out there that seems to be an upgrade and even one of those panels, I would consider more of a sidegrade than an upgrade (like its 25% better in some very specific things and 40% worse the majority of the time). Ideally, if I had to spend the money I paid for my Acer, I wouldn't buy a 4k or that Asus PG279Q, I would buy an Acer XR382CQK, 37.5" and 3840 x 1600 resolution, 75hz with freesync.

I have seen some 144hz 1080p monitors for reasonable prices lately - this is a good one - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1436274-REG/aoc_c24g1_24_curved_g.html

24" 1080p, 144hz, advanced VA panel (somewhere between TN and IPS for color and contrast and no ghosting like older VA panels) and freesync - $200

As for the curse of the ultrawide ... blame the developers. Valve states they don't support ultrawide or triple screen in CSGO because the added FOV provides those users with an unfair advantage. Same story from Blizzard with Overwatch and StarCraft. Both devs have the same solution. Crop the image so the ultrawide user has the same horizontal FOV as a 16:9 player but the vertical FOV ends up getting cropped off for the ultrawide user or simply don't support that resolution. It's certainly aggravating and not fair for either user. However, outside of games that have some form of professional play, most devs are fully onboard with ultrawide except Bethesda and their games (Fallout and Elder Scrolls) based on their "Creation engine" which itself is based off an engine that goes all the way back to 1997 (NetImmerse). However, in typical Bethesda fashion and as I sure you are aware, they let their customers solve their problems.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #353 (Edited)
Lol yep... Bethesda creation kit and let skilled developers release mods for free that fix their issues...

Ok I'll try an overclock on this thing and see what happens. Worst case I'm stuck with a 3444x1440 ultrawide IPS plus two 1080p 24" monitors on each side of it (yes I still have a triple setup lol) and "suffer" lmao.

Sounds like I'm not going to be doing **** this black friday. Which is fine. I'll see if a Nintendo Switch sale happens (doubtful) and get a niceass couch to go in my gaming room instead. I just picked up a 65" Samsung curved 4K TV for $800 out the door for the Playstation4 so that'll be a thing that keeps me busy for a minute. I'm debating a PS4Pro after the Switch but I'll probably just keep the OG PS4 and wait for the 5.

edit: Also I freaking HATE that FOV argument... its a PC game, not a console. Different ppl are going to have different spec machines. Hell a guy with a 165hz monitor and top end rig is going to destroy a similar skilled player with a 75hz monitor and middle of the road system in the same game... makes 0 sense.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #354
So someone who is really good in my comm unit here was telling me about ppl renting Amazon webservers as gaming machines from like 20 cents per hour depending on options and time. Guy is apparently gaming at 4K through his fiber connection off amazon for like 50 cents an hour. Know anything about this? Might look into it to stream through my server hooked to my new 4K TV.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I haven't heard of such a thing from amazon, though it is entirely possible to do.

I know amazon has AWS for Gaming - https://aws.amazon.com/gaming/

That is mostly for hosting dedicated servers, not so much for cloud gaming. If you were to do some type of gaming using AWS, I'm not sure how you could go about it. Maybe install Steam and your games on AWS, then use a VPN and use Steam In-Home Streaming to get the game to run on your local system. I've done it in my house but never through anything like AWS. Should be doable, just not sure how the performance would be.

When I use the In-Home Streaming with Steam, my wife usually connects to my system from the living room and I actually play the game from my desk and she can see and hear exactly what I'm doing. Sometimes she does it without letting me know and ends up taking control over my system while I'm playing a game, like that one time I was playing Rainbox Six Seige and it was down to me and another guy vs 5 on the other team and just as I was about to drop a few of them, she moved the trackpad or something and I totally missed and was quickly dead. All my friends on discord were like WTF....... how did you miss. Then my wife starts cracking up and yells "Sorry". Because of that, I killed her until she died from it.

I know Nvidia had a service they offered (GeForce Now) which is what you are talking about and I know of a few other companies that have tried and failed at it.

To my knowledge, I think some of the higher end GPU AWS "systems" only offer single GTX1080 levels of performance without going insane. I think they offer Titan V like GPUs (GV100 GPU Die) but I think those are only on the really high end "systems" and mainly used for deep learning/AI.

I'm positive you could do it and likely have a decent experience with it depending on the game and assuming you have fast enough internet, which, in Spain, you likely do. However, there is still the issue of latency. If you can run a game at 60hz (fps), then you are looking at a 16.67 ms of latency on a local system. Add to that another 50 - 70 ms of lag for the internet connection, then an additional 5 - 10 ms for the local system to process inputs, display, audio, networking, etc.. and you are likely going to be gaming with a minimum of 70 - 120 ms of latency (which would provide similar latency if you were playing a game at 8 - 14 fps), without counting for additional latency if you are trying to play an online game, which could add another 50 - 70 ms of latency. At that point, it would almost be like playing on dial up.

Like I mentioned, it really depends on the game. If you could play a game running at 60 fps, but all inputs were registering like it was running at 8 - 14 fps, then yes, it would be great. Just don't expect to rent time on their servers and try to play competitively, because it likely won't work all that well.

Also, if that is how they are doing the thing with AWS, you could simply try to take a laptop somewhere that has good internet and VPN into your home network, then try running Steam In-Home Streaming and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #356
Yeah I'll have to look into it more. I might just do what I've been doing and use my Steam links for upstairs since I got 2 of them when they were like $10 shipped and then use my server hooked to the 65" 4K to stream 1440p from my rig for games I want to play on the TV. Because the goddamn steamlinks only do 1080p... grumble...

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The In-Home Streaming through Steam does at least 3440x1440 and doesn't require any special hardware besides one PC powerful enough to run and stream the game, then another PC on the other end.

I've used it over wireless AC (450 mbps AC 2x2) and gigabit ethernet with no issues at all.

I never understood why the Steam Links were a thing when most people have access to a cheap laptop that can do more than the Steam Link ever could. Hell, the Steam Links are limited to 1080p 60hz but the networking connections are what puzzles me the most. 100 mbit wired, wtf.

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

The In-Home Streaming through Steam does at least 3440x1440 and doesn't require any special hardware besides one PC powerful enough to run and stream the game, then another PC on the other end.

I've used it over wireless AC (450 mbps AC 2x2) and gigabit ethernet with no issues at all.

I never understood why the Steam Links were a thing when most people have access to a cheap laptop that can do more than the Steam Link ever could. Hell, the Steam Links are limited to 1080p 60hz but the networking connections are what puzzles me the most. 100 mbit wired, wtf.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #358 (Edited)
Got the steamlinks for the 1080p living room TV and the 1080p tv on my roof deck. Will use my server for the 4k tv to stream off my rig.

Am currently having the Spanish fiber company come out and move the fiber connection to my gaming room and running legit cat6 shielded cable through the walls as well as replacing my 10/100 switches with gigabit. Powerline adapters are gigabit D Link units and ordering 3 more to have gigabit in every room and on the roof.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #359
That'll do donkey... Goddamn I was losing a TON of speed with long cable runs... Wow...

Also proud of myself for not spending $350 on the Power color Vega 56 on sale Friday. I mean... That was a screaming good price but I'd be losing performance in GTAV, Elite etc...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #360 (Edited)
Powercolor Vega 64 right now on Newegg for $399 with 3 free game downloads. Tom Clancy's The Division 2, Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry 5...

Really tempted... That's basically a $250 Vega 64...

It is the reference cooler tho... I have a ****load of fans and I'm sure I could undervolt the thing to keep it cool on the reference cooler...

341 - 360 of 369 Posts