Mustang Evolution Forum banner

361 - 369 of 369 Posts

·
Lorraine's driver
8,167 Posts
Have any of you had any troubles when you went from a mechanical drive to an SSD with Win 10? Also, are there any settings/registry changes you made after swapping over to SSD? I've had some odd issues with mine. They have been issues with sleep mode and shutdowns. Sleep mode seems to stop up the works and the laptop won't wake up. With shutdowns, it will occasionally lock up when you shutdown the laptop. Both of these require a forced shutdown (hold the power button down until all the leds are out). My laptop is old enough that it really shouldn't have anything to do with drivers, especially since I didn't have probs with the original HD and Win 10. When I did the drive swap, I started with a fresh Win 10 install.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Hey does screen resolution affect performance?
mine is @ 1680x1050 which is the highest i can go,
but would it work better @ a smaller res?
just wondering 'cause when i watch youtube & am playing games & stuff,
my computer uses more RAM & slows down.
would like 1280x800 make any difference?

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #363 (Edited)
Have any of you had any troubles when you went from a mechanical drive to an SSD with Win 10? Also, are there any settings/registry changes you made after swapping over to SSD? I've had some odd issues with mine. They have been issues with sleep mode and shutdowns. Sleep mode seems to stop up the works and the laptop won't wake up. With shutdowns, it will occasionally lock up when you shutdown the laptop. Both of these require a forced shutdown (hold the power button down until all the leds are out). My laptop is old enough that it really shouldn't have anything to do with drivers, especially since I didn't have probs with the original HD and Win 10. When I did the drive swap, I started with a fresh Win 10 install.
I had 0 issues. But I always go for a straight clean install.

More pixels the machine has to render the more intensive it is on the hardware is the simplest I can put it. Going lower resolution will make a difference but most games are designed to run in 1920x1080 or a similar pixel resolution and will look like **** scaled down not to mention it'll have all sorts of issues as far as gameplay.

Would have to get the specs of your machine to see what you'd need to do. Honestly, a 1080p machine is VERY cheap these days if you can build and don't have an issue buying used parts. Older intel i5 CPU and motherboard, 16 gigs of RAM and a 1050 or 1050ti video card and that will run pretty much anything at med-high to high settings at 1080p for $250-$300 for everything.

If that is "greek" to you then the best advice I can give for a cheap system upgrade is to buy a newer used Dell Optiplex with a good CPU on ebay for like $150 and then throw a 1050 or 1050ti video card in it that can be fully powered off the board. Anyone you know who does work with computer hardware will be able to install a GPU. Hell, watch a few youtube videos on how to install a video card. Its literally "insert tab A into slot B".

If the only issue is you don't have enough RAM... that's also "insert tab A into slot B".

·
Lorraine's driver
8,167 Posts
I did too, and usually always do with my own PC's.

I did make some changes a day after posting my ? and have had some good luck (so far). I turned off prefetch and superfetch, as well as indexing. I don't think indexing had anything to do with it, though. I heard the SSD's were so fast that you don't need to have all your files indexed and that could save you some life on the drive in long term. Fingers crossed! I will never buy another PC or laptop from Best Buy again lol. My laptop isn't bad, but it's one of those special model number ones only found at Best Buy. I think that's why there is so little driver updates available on Acer's site. Plus, it was an early Win 8 laptop, before the service pack came out. That being said, there should be plenty of hardware support by now in Win 10 for this laptop.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Powercolor Vega 64 right now on Newegg for $399 with 3 free game downloads. Tom Clancy's The Division 2, Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry 5...

Really tempted... That's basically a $250 Vega 64...

It is the reference cooler tho... I have a ****load of fans and I'm sure I could undervolt the thing to keep it cool on the reference cooler...
Vega 7 is worth it, Vega 56/64 is EOL. At this point, I would either wait for Navi ( supposedly October/November release) or 7nm Nvidia RTX.

That said, if you can pick up a Vega card for $200 - $300 that is a non-reference cooler (exception being V64 water) and sell your old Fury cards to offset some of the price, then yes, that would make absolute sense. The biggest thing with Vega, is keeping it cool. If you can keep it cool and bump up the power limit, it will run very well.

Some older laptops have issues after the October 18 update (version 1809). It can cause weird issues with sleep and hibernate. Issues seem to range from black screens or just complete unresponsiveness. The issue doesn't have anything to do with the SSD, just the update. I'm not sure if that is the issue but could be something to research with your particular model laptop. The issue could be resolved with a simple driver update or some other windows update.

Also, with W10, I would recommend turning off system restore and just run occasional backups.

For gaming on a PC, you have three things that can really cause performance issues. The first is cpu, second is memory (RAM), third is GPU or graphics card.

The easiest to diagnose is memory (RAM) issues. If you notice hitching or stuttering at random intervals but otherwise runs smooth, it's likely the memory swapping to and from the hard drive/ssd. This is easy enough to check, just open task manager and launch the game, play it for a little bit and replicate issue. Then alt+tab out of game and check memory usage. If it's more than 3/4 of your total memory (RAM) then it's likely the issue or part of it. In car terms, think of this as running low on fuel. That hiccup from when the fuel pressure drops is when the game starts stuttering, then more fuel is found and it straightens out and runs fine again.

Second thing to check is the GPU (Graphics card). Generally, if something runs well at a lower resolution, but starts running worse as resolution increases, then this is likely the problem. Not much can be done with this. Either replace the GPU (if possible) or lower settings and/or resolution until things become playable. Think of this as passing a car at a certain speed. If you try passing a car at 40 MPH, err .. 65 KMH, you can likely get around the car rather quickly. Try passing that car at 80 MPH, err ... 130 KMH, and your car won't have near the punch at faster speeds. So essentially, as resolution increases, so would the drag on your car and the only way to overcome that is with more power.

The last thing would be CPU. This is would be noticeable if performance doesn't really change going from lower resolution to higher resolution. So, if you get 30 fps (frames per second) at 1680 x 1050 and you drop the resolution down to 1280 x 800 and you still get 30 fps, this is likely the issue. Think of this like torque vs horsepower. Torque is how much work can be done, horsepower is how fast that work gets done. In this case, your CPU would act like a diesel engine, where it's doing the work, just at a slow speed.

Scotty is right on everything, this is just my take on it. Upgrading or throwing together a system should be fairly simple and could be rather cheap, at least in freedom dollars.

Also, good to see you back. It got a little too quiet around here.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts

More pixels the machine has to render the more intensive it is on the hardware is the simplest I can put it. Going lower resolution will make a difference but most games are designed to run in 1920x1080 or a similar pixel resolution and will look like **** scaled down not to mention it'll have all sorts of issues as far as gameplay.

Would have to get the specs of your machine to see what you'd need to do. Honestly, a 1080p machine is VERY cheap these days if you can build and don't have an issue buying used parts. Older intel i5 CPU and motherboard, 16 gigs of RAM and a 1050 or 1050ti video card and that will run pretty much anything at med-high to high settings at 1080p for $250-$300 for everything.

If that is "greek" to you then the best advice I can give for a cheap system upgrade is to buy a newer used Dell Optiplex with a good CPU on ebay for like $150 and then throw a 1050 or 1050ti video card in it that can be fully powered off the board. Anyone you know who does work with computer hardware will be able to install a GPU. Hell, watch a few youtube videos on how to install a video card. Its literally "insert tab A into slot B".

If the only issue is you don't have enough RAM... that's also "insert tab A into slot B".

All 3 browsers (firefox, safari, chrome,) all use the same memory.
I only have 4GB of RAM, & they all waste my ram & slow my laptop down eventually...

Sent from my iPod touch 7 beta using Mustang Evolution

·
Lorraine's driver
8,167 Posts
Some older laptops have issues after the October 18 update (version 1809). It can cause weird issues with sleep and hibernate. Issues seem to range from black screens or just complete unresponsiveness. The issue doesn't have anything to do with the SSD, just the update. I'm not sure if that is the issue but could be something to research with your particular model laptop. The issue could be resolved with a simple driver update or some other windows update.

Also, with W10, I would recommend turning off system restore and just run occasional backups.
Thanks! I have heard of the issues with the October update. I didn't really look to see what they were. I started out with the update on this laptop as soon as I got it running from a fresh Win 10 install. I guess I should have looked lol. I will do some searching on the subject.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #368
All 3 browsers (firefox, safari, chrome,) all use the same memory.
I only have 4GB of RAM, & they all waste my ram & slow my laptop down eventually...

4GB of RAM is not enough anymore. 8GB minimum, you could probably update an old laptop for $20 or $40 if it was worth it to you. It's literally gonna be a screw or two to open up the plastic piece over the RAM and then the old stick or sticks pop out and new ones go in. Unless you have some janky *** laptop that only has 1 slot which I have seen a few times...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
4GB of RAM is not enough anymore. 8GB minimum, you could probably update an old laptop for $20 or $40 if it was worth it to you. It's literally gonna be a screw or two to open up the plastic piece over the RAM and then the old stick or sticks pop out and new ones go in. Unless you have some janky *** laptop that only has 1 slot which I have seen a few times...

i won a $500 Compaq laptop,
but i wanted a bigger screen &
more storage for school & work,
so they let me trade it for a 15"
macbook pro
4gb / 1tb SSD hard drive
(& an ipod)
so i conned them for like $3,000 haha,

so i can't complain

i just like Firefox 'cause i've been using it all my life

a new one is like $4,000!!

& i'm an Apple nerd
'cause i used it in school

we have Windows 2010 here @ the hospital,
& it sucks so much

(rant, rant...)

Apple is going to start beta testing their own credit card with their employees later this year

361 - 369 of 369 Posts