Mustang Evolution Forum banner

361 - 380 of 411 Posts

·
Lorraine's driver
8,188 Posts
Have any of you had any troubles when you went from a mechanical drive to an SSD with Win 10? Also, are there any settings/registry changes you made after swapping over to SSD? I've had some odd issues with mine. They have been issues with sleep mode and shutdowns. Sleep mode seems to stop up the works and the laptop won't wake up. With shutdowns, it will occasionally lock up when you shutdown the laptop. Both of these require a forced shutdown (hold the power button down until all the leds are out). My laptop is old enough that it really shouldn't have anything to do with drivers, especially since I didn't have probs with the original HD and Win 10. When I did the drive swap, I started with a fresh Win 10 install.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Hey does screen resolution affect performance?
mine is @ 1680x1050 which is the highest i can go,
but would it work better @ a smaller res?
just wondering 'cause when i watch youtube & am playing games & stuff,
my computer uses more RAM & slows down.
would like 1280x800 make any difference?

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #363 (Edited)
Have any of you had any troubles when you went from a mechanical drive to an SSD with Win 10? Also, are there any settings/registry changes you made after swapping over to SSD? I've had some odd issues with mine. They have been issues with sleep mode and shutdowns. Sleep mode seems to stop up the works and the laptop won't wake up. With shutdowns, it will occasionally lock up when you shutdown the laptop. Both of these require a forced shutdown (hold the power button down until all the leds are out). My laptop is old enough that it really shouldn't have anything to do with drivers, especially since I didn't have probs with the original HD and Win 10. When I did the drive swap, I started with a fresh Win 10 install.
I had 0 issues. But I always go for a straight clean install.

More pixels the machine has to render the more intensive it is on the hardware is the simplest I can put it. Going lower resolution will make a difference but most games are designed to run in 1920x1080 or a similar pixel resolution and will look like **** scaled down not to mention it'll have all sorts of issues as far as gameplay.

Would have to get the specs of your machine to see what you'd need to do. Honestly, a 1080p machine is VERY cheap these days if you can build and don't have an issue buying used parts. Older intel i5 CPU and motherboard, 16 gigs of RAM and a 1050 or 1050ti video card and that will run pretty much anything at med-high to high settings at 1080p for $250-$300 for everything.

If that is "greek" to you then the best advice I can give for a cheap system upgrade is to buy a newer used Dell Optiplex with a good CPU on ebay for like $150 and then throw a 1050 or 1050ti video card in it that can be fully powered off the board. Anyone you know who does work with computer hardware will be able to install a GPU. Hell, watch a few youtube videos on how to install a video card. Its literally "insert tab A into slot B".

If the only issue is you don't have enough RAM... that's also "insert tab A into slot B".

·
Lorraine's driver
8,188 Posts
I did too, and usually always do with my own PC's.

I did make some changes a day after posting my ? and have had some good luck (so far). I turned off prefetch and superfetch, as well as indexing. I don't think indexing had anything to do with it, though. I heard the SSD's were so fast that you don't need to have all your files indexed and that could save you some life on the drive in long term. Fingers crossed! I will never buy another PC or laptop from Best Buy again lol. My laptop isn't bad, but it's one of those special model number ones only found at Best Buy. I think that's why there is so little driver updates available on Acer's site. Plus, it was an early Win 8 laptop, before the service pack came out. That being said, there should be plenty of hardware support by now in Win 10 for this laptop.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Powercolor Vega 64 right now on Newegg for $399 with 3 free game downloads. Tom Clancy's The Division 2, Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry 5...

Really tempted... That's basically a $250 Vega 64...

It is the reference cooler tho... I have a ****load of fans and I'm sure I could undervolt the thing to keep it cool on the reference cooler...
Vega 7 is worth it, Vega 56/64 is EOL. At this point, I would either wait for Navi ( supposedly October/November release) or 7nm Nvidia RTX.

That said, if you can pick up a Vega card for $200 - $300 that is a non-reference cooler (exception being V64 water) and sell your old Fury cards to offset some of the price, then yes, that would make absolute sense. The biggest thing with Vega, is keeping it cool. If you can keep it cool and bump up the power limit, it will run very well.

Some older laptops have issues after the October 18 update (version 1809). It can cause weird issues with sleep and hibernate. Issues seem to range from black screens or just complete unresponsiveness. The issue doesn't have anything to do with the SSD, just the update. I'm not sure if that is the issue but could be something to research with your particular model laptop. The issue could be resolved with a simple driver update or some other windows update.

Also, with W10, I would recommend turning off system restore and just run occasional backups.

For gaming on a PC, you have three things that can really cause performance issues. The first is cpu, second is memory (RAM), third is GPU or graphics card.

The easiest to diagnose is memory (RAM) issues. If you notice hitching or stuttering at random intervals but otherwise runs smooth, it's likely the memory swapping to and from the hard drive/ssd. This is easy enough to check, just open task manager and launch the game, play it for a little bit and replicate issue. Then alt+tab out of game and check memory usage. If it's more than 3/4 of your total memory (RAM) then it's likely the issue or part of it. In car terms, think of this as running low on fuel. That hiccup from when the fuel pressure drops is when the game starts stuttering, then more fuel is found and it straightens out and runs fine again.

Second thing to check is the GPU (Graphics card). Generally, if something runs well at a lower resolution, but starts running worse as resolution increases, then this is likely the problem. Not much can be done with this. Either replace the GPU (if possible) or lower settings and/or resolution until things become playable. Think of this as passing a car at a certain speed. If you try passing a car at 40 MPH, err .. 65 KMH, you can likely get around the car rather quickly. Try passing that car at 80 MPH, err ... 130 KMH, and your car won't have near the punch at faster speeds. So essentially, as resolution increases, so would the drag on your car and the only way to overcome that is with more power.

The last thing would be CPU. This is would be noticeable if performance doesn't really change going from lower resolution to higher resolution. So, if you get 30 fps (frames per second) at 1680 x 1050 and you drop the resolution down to 1280 x 800 and you still get 30 fps, this is likely the issue. Think of this like torque vs horsepower. Torque is how much work can be done, horsepower is how fast that work gets done. In this case, your CPU would act like a diesel engine, where it's doing the work, just at a slow speed.

Scotty is right on everything, this is just my take on it. Upgrading or throwing together a system should be fairly simple and could be rather cheap, at least in freedom dollars.

Also, good to see you back. It got a little too quiet around here.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts

More pixels the machine has to render the more intensive it is on the hardware is the simplest I can put it. Going lower resolution will make a difference but most games are designed to run in 1920x1080 or a similar pixel resolution and will look like **** scaled down not to mention it'll have all sorts of issues as far as gameplay.

Would have to get the specs of your machine to see what you'd need to do. Honestly, a 1080p machine is VERY cheap these days if you can build and don't have an issue buying used parts. Older intel i5 CPU and motherboard, 16 gigs of RAM and a 1050 or 1050ti video card and that will run pretty much anything at med-high to high settings at 1080p for $250-$300 for everything.

If that is "greek" to you then the best advice I can give for a cheap system upgrade is to buy a newer used Dell Optiplex with a good CPU on ebay for like $150 and then throw a 1050 or 1050ti video card in it that can be fully powered off the board. Anyone you know who does work with computer hardware will be able to install a GPU. Hell, watch a few youtube videos on how to install a video card. Its literally "insert tab A into slot B".

If the only issue is you don't have enough RAM... that's also "insert tab A into slot B".

All 3 browsers (firefox, safari, chrome,) all use the same memory.
I only have 4GB of RAM, & they all waste my ram & slow my laptop down eventually...

Sent from my iPod touch 7 beta using Mustang Evolution

·
Lorraine's driver
8,188 Posts
Some older laptops have issues after the October 18 update (version 1809). It can cause weird issues with sleep and hibernate. Issues seem to range from black screens or just complete unresponsiveness. The issue doesn't have anything to do with the SSD, just the update. I'm not sure if that is the issue but could be something to research with your particular model laptop. The issue could be resolved with a simple driver update or some other windows update.

Also, with W10, I would recommend turning off system restore and just run occasional backups.
Thanks! I have heard of the issues with the October update. I didn't really look to see what they were. I started out with the update on this laptop as soon as I got it running from a fresh Win 10 install. I guess I should have looked lol. I will do some searching on the subject.

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #368
All 3 browsers (firefox, safari, chrome,) all use the same memory.
I only have 4GB of RAM, & they all waste my ram & slow my laptop down eventually...

4GB of RAM is not enough anymore. 8GB minimum, you could probably update an old laptop for $20 or $40 if it was worth it to you. It's literally gonna be a screw or two to open up the plastic piece over the RAM and then the old stick or sticks pop out and new ones go in. Unless you have some janky *** laptop that only has 1 slot which I have seen a few times...

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
4GB of RAM is not enough anymore. 8GB minimum, you could probably update an old laptop for $20 or $40 if it was worth it to you. It's literally gonna be a screw or two to open up the plastic piece over the RAM and then the old stick or sticks pop out and new ones go in. Unless you have some janky *** laptop that only has 1 slot which I have seen a few times...

i won a $500 Compaq laptop,
but i wanted a bigger screen &
more storage for school & work,
so they let me trade it for a 15"
macbook pro
4gb / 1tb SSD hard drive
(& an ipod)
so i conned them for like $3,000 haha,

so i can't complain

i just like Firefox 'cause i've been using it all my life

a new one is like $4,000!!

& i'm an Apple nerd
'cause i used it in school

we have Windows 2010 here @ the hospital,
& it sucks so much

(rant, rant...)

Apple is going to start beta testing their own credit card with their employees later this year

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #370
Ish not sure if you're still here. Thinking of upgrading my Ryzen 5 1600 and then putting that in my kids PC with a new mid grade mobo. Any suggesstions? Still rocking the twin Furies, it seems that nothing really is worth spending the coin on but maybe finally in the fall 2020? I can still run pretty much anything on a very good setting at 3440x1440 and GTA5 and Elite maxxed out.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I'm still here in limited capacity...

Ryzen 5 3600 or 3600x is the sweet spot for a CPU currently. At this point, I would wait on a Ryzen 4000 series with 8 core /16 threads and a new X570 class or equivalent motherboard with some fast ram.

As for the Furies, when both cards are working together, they should be as fast or faster than a 5700XT or RTX 2070 as they have aged rather well, like most AMD "fine wine" cards have.

However, when the cards can't run crossfire, the 5700XT or RTX 2070 will smash a single Fury without breaking a sweat. That said, I would hold off until Nvidia and AMD release their next gen cards.

Hope Spain is still treating well.

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #372
Damn you are still here! Yeah Spain is treating me great. I love it here to the point I'm actively working towards extending and retiring here. Great weather, people are friendly, cost of living is dirt cheap and its just fun to live here. Also there is a suprisingly active Mustang community here and American car shows are an extra big deal. You wouldn't think a basic New Edge that needs paint would turn heads normally but here... I might as well be driving an exotic.

Anyways, what I was planning on was keeping the ASRock X370 Taichi board I have and just dropping a new CPU in and that's literally it. Well besides a bigger NVME drive and a fresh wipe/go with Win10. My daughter would inherit the 1600 and I'd get like a B450 motherboard for that for her. Any recommendations there?

I mostly play games that dont exactly tax the system and the ones that do that I mostly play are GTA5 and Elite which both support xfire. Why I haven't upgraded...

And that FX8350 is still going strong despite my daughter's efforts to kill her computer. Didn't tell me it kept restarting for 2 weeks around Thanksgiving and turns out the CPU fan had quit... replaced. Then last week same thing but this time the 120mm fan on the water cooler for her Kraken R9 290 had frozen up so that got replaced too... Lol at least I've made my kid a member of #PCMasterRace. We have a Switch and a PS4 as well and she barely touches them. Lot of modded Minecraft (pixelmon etc...) and other stuff.

Thanks again for all the advice and help.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Good to hear Spain is treating you well. From your posts, it seems awesome. Also, that would be odd driving a new edge and being treated like its a lambo or some other exotic.

My favorite go to B450 is the MSI B450 Tomahawk. It has a good VRM, good IO and a nice BIOS.

Those AMD FX cpus are extremely hard to kill. I'm sure it was throttling like crazy without a functioning fan. Also, my kid is now fully into the #PCMasterRace. To the point that she calls her friends that still play on consoles peasants... I've raised her well.

Here is what I have been spending most of my time on ..

It's a complete Rseat N1 Alcantara setup,an Accuforce V2 Direct Drive wheel, Pro SimTech pedals, Fanatec CSS V1.5 shifter (7 gears and reverse + sequential), Fanatec ClubSport Handbrake V1.5, and Buttkicker shaker. For the VR headset I use either the Samsung Odyssey+ or HTC Vive and for audio I use my AudioTechnica AD900X headphones. My computer is an Asus Sabertooth X99, 6950X @ 4.4 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 @ 3466 Mhz, Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080Ti with all SSD or NVME drives and custom water cooling with all EK waterblocks and twin EK CS-XE 480mm radiators. It gets things done.

I do some iRacing but mainly Dirt Rally, Assetto Corsa or Project Cars when I have the time.

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #374
Holy crap... wow... well that'll work for racing games... I guess... >:)

I'll take a look at that B450 mobo you recommended and the "sweet spot" current processors unless the next gen of Ryzen will work on my Taichi which I'm guessing no. Will have to get her some DDR4 too, probably the same stuff I have, the G Skill FlareX 3200mhz unless there is something else that legit does 3200mhz with Ryzen reliably. I mean even some budget stuff running at 3000 will be more than enough for her... Her water cooled 290 is still rocking as long as the fan doesn't gum up again, I am thinking of moving all her stuff to a Fractal case with filters. My Fractal Define S is keeping all my parts looking brand new. None of that dust scunge or anything in there. Its really amazing how good these cases are. Its also hilarious when I show ppl how many fans I have and then they start wondering where the hell the hard drives are lmao. Although with the new setup I'm doing I'm only going to have one 2TB NVME for the OS/games and potentially nothing else since I'm setting up a 24/7 server with 10TB of storage on the side. So there really will be no "hard drives" in it anymore lol.

And awesome to hear that your kid is also a member of #PCMasterRace lol. Julie doesn't call other kids "console peasants"... yet... we play enough with the Switch and 2DS XLs but Nintendo really hit it out of the park with the Switch and everyone questioning what they were doing starting with the Wii has paid off in spades. I honestly don't consider the Switch in the same vein as PC or the PS4/Xbox.

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #375
Ok so did a little banging around and yeah I'll wait for the new socket 4000 series to release. If I'm going to buy a new motherboard and a new CPU I might as well buy the new stuff for me and hand me down to my kid with the AM4 and Ryzen 5 1600. Plus then when I finally get a new video card it can support it. Any word on when the 4000 series will release and any recommendations on an x570 mobo?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Ryzen 4000 desktop will ship this year. When ... not sure. I would guess Fall. They have their Ryzen mobile ramping up this spring and summer, along with the probability of a high end GPU in that time frame. Also with the recent release of the new Threadrippers, new desktop CPUs are probably at least 6 months out.

As for X570 mobos, bang for the buck, I would go with the MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T5QDRFX/ - $160 or the Asrock X570 Steel Legend - Amazon.com: ASRock X570 Steel Legend WiFi AX AM4 AMD X570 SATA 6GB/S ATX AMD Motherboard: Computers & Accessories - $190, which is definitely a better built board but has a clunky bios and is about $30 more expensive.

If you want a higher end board (around $300), the new X570 Taichi is decent (still hate their bios), the MSI MEG Ace is another great board and my personal favorite is the Asus ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero but I'm an Asus shill so that is to be expected.

I refuse to use or recommend any Gigabyte or Auros products as I have witnessed way to many issues with them over the last few years, which I had the same issue with MSI about 5 years ago and just recently started using or recommending them.

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #377
Gigabyte also had legit the worst motherboard I ever used back in 2011 and have not touched anything of theirs since. I'm not sure I game on a high enough end to need any of the crazy ones. I doubt I'll OC this particular chip and if I do it'll be well within what a stock cooler could handle. I'll take a look at them... I have an ASRock now and the bios isn't terrible... not great but not terrible. Thanks again for the advice. So basically fall the 4000s ship and then wait for Black Friday like usual looks like the plan then.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The Ryzen 4000 desktops are supposed to offer up to 24 cores / 48 threads on X570 or whatever the next chipset is. Not sure on clock speeds if they will increase or not but ....... 15% - 25% ipc increase, so should be quite the jump clock for clock. Also, 8 core / 16 thread CPU being a low or low-mid range makes me happy. I honestly expect the 4000 series to hit 4.5 - 4.6 Ghz as that is how Ryzen has scaled over the generations.

As for overclocking... as you and everyone on Earth knows, Ryzen is garbage for overclocking. Hell, Intel is too now. Ryzen 1 was tapped out around 4.0 - 4.1 Ghz, Ryzen 2 about 4.3 Ghz was all it had, Ryzen 3 about 4.4 is as far as you can get. Intel has been holding steady around 5 - 5.2 Ghz since Haswell (4xxx series).

All this being said, I think you should use some of that sweet government paycheck and make the jump to a TRX40 motherboard and a Threadripper 3990x.

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #379
Lol no I think I'll stick with Ryzen 4 or even 3 depending on what the prices are like. Maybe I'll finally upgrade GPU as well and put each Fury in my wife and kid's PC and the liquid R9 290 in the media server...

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Funny this thread gets more attention than the rest of the forum...maybe some of these new "spammers" should post in here.

361 - 380 of 411 Posts