Mustang Evolution Forum banner

381 - 394 of 394 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #381
Lol good thing I have a banhammer if they do lol.

Meh most forums are dead af. Thank Facebook.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #383
Welp as I was going through the electronics section of the NEX (Navy Exchange) I decided to gander at some laptops since I actually have been without one for almost a year (use the wifes if I need one) and ran across this for $499 and no tax.

Only 1 left and it was $100 off on sale so I grabbed it. Throwing a 1TB NVME into it and jump the RAM up to 16gb. Will play anything at high or max at 1080p.

Didn't tell the wife till I got home... I got a glare but she knows I've been wanting one and we just got taxes back so... phew.

Not sure how much actual gaming I'll do but for $499 even if all I do is the occasional game on the road and use it for mostly work or screwing off that's a good price for a laptop.

·
Super Moderator
17,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #384
Oof forgot how slow using a HDD is... booted the thing up this morning just to make sure all is well and Windows is registered before I wipe/re-install on the NVME I put in there. Also the geniuses at Acer decided to not put the M2 slot in either of the access panels on the back so I had to pull the whole damn backplate off... apparently this is an early 2019 model and the refresh Acer did on them=no back panels at all. No idea... probably to prevent idiots from screwing up the laptops since generally those types won't know how or be afraid to use a pry tool...

Nice laptop... not the fastest or snazziest but it'll work well. Ordered another stick of DDR4 for it, they include 1 stick of 8GB so that's easy. Gonna play some Civ6 in bed tonight next to the wife while we watch Dr Pol. Dr Pol is the best thing on Disney+ right now and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise!

·
Super Moderator
17,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #386
I'll go in tonight and go on a ban spree but even ip bans no worky...

·
Lorraine's driver
8,188 Posts
Good to hear Spain is treating you well. From your posts, it seems awesome. Also, that would be odd driving a new edge and being treated like its a lambo or some other exotic.

My favorite go to B450 is the MSI B450 Tomahawk. It has a good VRM, good IO and a nice BIOS.

Those AMD FX cpus are extremely hard to kill. I'm sure it was throttling like crazy without a functioning fan. Also, my kid is now fully into the #PCMasterRace. To the point that she calls her friends that still play on consoles peasants... I've raised her well.

Here is what I have been spending most of my time on ..

It's a complete Rseat N1 Alcantara setup,an Accuforce V2 Direct Drive wheel, Pro SimTech pedals, Fanatec CSS V1.5 shifter (7 gears and reverse + sequential), Fanatec ClubSport Handbrake V1.5, and Buttkicker shaker. For the VR headset I use either the Samsung Odyssey+ or HTC Vive and for audio I use my AudioTechnica AD900X headphones. My computer is an Asus Sabertooth X99, 6950X @ 4.4 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 @ 3466 Mhz, Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080Ti with all SSD or NVME drives and custom water cooling with all EK waterblocks and twin EK CS-XE 480mm radiators. It gets things done.

I do some iRacing but mainly Dirt Rally, Assetto Corsa or Project Cars when I have the time.
Damn! (y) That's a badass setup. My son's head would explode if he saw that setup lol.

·
Super Moderator
17,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #388
It is pretty cool. On another note the wife is now jealous of the new laptop because "the keyboard lights up". Lol. NVME I put in it is a Silicon Power unit. Really really good brand I've had a ton of luck with. 2 of their ssds are in a raid0 in my tower at the moment 3 years going strong. Swapping in a 2tb NVME silicon power to my tower and my daughter will get the 1tb raid0 for her games.

·
Super Moderator
17,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #389
Also I ip perma banned like 10 spam accounts last night... Here's hoping...

·
Super Moderator
17,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #390
Eh, I went ahead and ordered the 3600. $175 for a 20-30% jump in CPU power is a no brainer and its a direct drop in to my Taichi X370. I'll put the Ryzen 5 1600 in the box the 3600 comes in and make sure everything is good to go and then get that other mobo for my kid and some ram for her.

I'll look at finally upgrading to a single solid new GPU over Black Friday and then put these 2 furies in the wife and Kid's CPUs. Ryzen 5 1600 and a Fury for my daughter should be more than enough for all the stuff they do. Or maybe I'll just put both cards in my daughter's computer and put the water cooled R9 290 in the wife's. She's got that Sabertooth motherboard and a FX6300 in hers so its no powerhouse but it does ok.

·
Super Moderator
17,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #391
So my kid is keen on that upgrade even more than I thought... saying her Minecraft with mods and a few other games are really slowing down.

Now I need to get some new DDR4 ram and a new mobo for her to use that Ryzen 5 1600 since she is on a FX setup now. I'm looking at that B450 Tomahawk motherboard, the Max version that supports 3rd gen. Says it supports up to 4133mhz ram too. My Taichi x370 only supports up to 3200 as far as I know. Really thinking I should put the B450 Tomahawk Max in MY case with the Ryzen 5 3600 and something like 16gigs of G Skill TridentZ 4133 ram and then put the Ryzen 5 1600 with the X370 and 16 gigs of GSkill FlareX 3200mhz in hers. I'm not going to be overclocking really much if at all with the 3600... From what I see and what I'm going to be doing that Tomahawk Max would be totally fine for this. I did see the Max might need a bios update for the 3rd gen CPUs but ppl are reporting they are getting updated boards working out of the box. Even if not I have the older Ryzen chip I can use to get it updated.

Not sure how much of a difference between 4133mhz and 3200mhz RAM I would see in actual performance or games and I could save almost $100 putting a B450 board with some basic 3000mhz DDR4 in but... if I'm gonna upgrade the CPU to be 25% faster it makes sense to upgrade the RAM to be 25% faster (or so), if that makes sense...

·
Super Moderator
17,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #392
New:

Ryzen 5 3600
16GB Corsair Vengeance CL14 3600mhz DDR4
MSI Tomahawk Max B450
Silicon Power 2TB NVME

GPUs staying the same with 2x AMD Furies

Kid gets:

Ryzen 5 1600
16GB G Skill FlareX CL14 3200mhz DDR4
ASRock Taichi X370
Samsung 512GB NVME
1TB SSD

Her GPU is a water cooled R9 290

Wife gets:

FX8350
16GB DDR3
ASUS Sabertooth Mobo
Silicon Power 256GB NVME via a PCIE adapter

Her GPU is an air cooled R9 290

Gotta love hand me down gaming systems although my wife rarely games. Kid games like crazy and should enjoy the Ryzen. Going to install software to OC the GPU for her as well since when I had that card I could max overclock it at stock voltages without any cooling issues. Not sure about OC'ing the Ryzen chips. My 1600 I could never get to stabilize above 3.8ghz and not sure if I'll even touch the 3600 either.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Most Ryzens only have a few hundred Mhz to give over their max boost clock. The biggest difference is that it will be running all the cores up to that speed instead of only one or two. That said, I have experienced several times where Ryzen will automatically boost a few cores higher than can be achieved via all core over clocking. For example, I've had several 3600X that will boost out of the box to 4.35-4.4Ghz on 2 or 3 cores but the remaining cores can't be pushed past 4.1 - 4.2 Ghz of cooling or voltage without extreme cooling and vcore.

I would look for gains from maximizing your memory OC. Judging by the CL timings and speed, that memory is likely Samsung B-die. So, load up XMP profile and start cranking the memory speeds up. If that is B-die, you should be able to get to around 4000 - 4200 with the xmp timings with a slight bump to the memory voltage.

·
Super Moderator
17,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #394
Its B-die, already made sure of that lol. Mobo will support up to 4133. Or I can leave the timings for super low latency and I dunno if I'll get much speed out of cranking it up. All coming in next week and I'll get to building.

Now I just need a HOTAS upgrade... my old X52 finally ate it and it was never really good... The Thrustmaster X16000 with throttle and pedals looks decent for the money but reviews are not super great. Wish the X56 Rhino didn't suck balls too... Probably down to that Thrusmaster setup or a CH setup or spring for a Warthog but I dunno... That's later on.

381 - 394 of 394 Posts