Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have read several posts about people putting windstar intakes on their mustang. I have a short-ram K&n intake right now, and I was wondering if it would be worth the 300$ or so to upgrade again to a windstar. Is there really that much of a difference? I always thought the windstar was just another way of accomplishing an intake upgrade by using used parts, but I have seen some people say the gains are twice that of a regular cai.

By the way, I have a pretty good heat shield, and the filter on mine rests about as far from the engine as it can get. I am pretty sure I am not drawing in large amounts of "hot air".

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
both cars same exact mods except for upper intake stock versus windstar

the windstar graph starts at ~2500 the car with factory starts at 3K

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the replies. I will look into this some more, because I have a pretty open exhaust and I want to get the most out of it!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Anybody have any pics of their windstar setup, looking to make the move myself and I'd love to see some close ups of the egr setup

·
Registered
280 Posts
Anybody have any pics of their windstar setup, looking to make the move myself and I'd love to see some close ups of the egr setup
The only thing you have to do to retain the e.g.r is get an e.g.r bracket from a windstar replace it with your stock bracket and then cut an inch out the tube and use some hose to bridge the gap you cut out but good luck finding something that wont blow every 2 months i fought mine forever before i decided too just delete it

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

I have the whole egr set up still if you want it just pay the shipping

·
Registered
160 Posts
thanks for the offer but i'm gona hold off for now, still in the planning phase. i'm trying to do it all on about 150 to 200 dollars, and of course make it reliable. i've been researching the hook-ups all day trying to find the best setup. i want it to be street legal, reliable of course, and id really like to avoid making too many cuts and what not. i think what i'm gona do is find a junkyard intake and play around with it a little and see what i can come up with from all these different setups.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It can easily be done for WAY less than 300 if you fab everything yourself (not as hard as it sounds) and do the install yourself. I'm in the process of a 99-03 Windstar swap and its not going to be as hard as everyone makes it out to me. As for reliable, they put them in mini-vans for chrissake. The intake won't fail you unless you do something to F*ck it up.

Good luck.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah it doesn't sound ridiculously hard I just see a lot of people get tangled up in all the little stuff like the egr and iac and what not

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
here are some random pictures of my intake setup... i have some old shots of what i did to the egr somewhere i'll try to find

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
:banghead:very helpful, i also found a detailed thread somewhere else as well, all i need left is to map out where all of my lines are going to run and what not, theres so much crap on this engine that i really dont have a clear understanding of what it does, i just know it needs hooked up from A to B :banghead:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Well this is all I had, not pretty but no more pos rubber hose busting open, I just deleted EGR a couple months after that to save some hassle

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
alright, so i drew this at work, haha. i'm pretty sure i have the basic idea of how everything is supposed to go except for one thing, i dont understand how to run the vacuum lines for the evr sensor, egr valve, and frp vacuum connection. any help on those would be greatly appreciated, as well as if i have any of these connections wrong. gracias:)

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
You dont need to run any vac lines different then stock the valve stays in the same spot just sits a little lower just fab a bracket to bolt the sensor and evr somewhat in the stock location( piggyback off the ac compressor maybe) so the two hoses that come of the egr tube can plug into the bottom of the sensor and the red and green lines from the top of the egr valve can plug into the evr. and the red one can reach the driverside pcv hose and both harnesses can connect.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hmm I kinda see what you're saying but that was a little confusing to me, I just cant picture exactly what ones I gotta make T's out of and stuff

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
03sixtang, you can see all the vacuum hose routing in my pictures.. and i can get all the hose lengths for you if you want

SN95V600, regular nitto 555's on 95 cobra R replicas, the back are the nitto 555R's on a set of factory rims

·
Registered
155 Posts
Oh idk it looked like the front tires r wider then the rear

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

David send me measurements of the hoses still working on mine trying to get a spacer or just bend fuel rail

·
Registered
160 Posts
yeah dave, if you dont mind id really appreciate getting those measurements on those hoses from you, pretty much the last thing i need in my planning process, thanks a bunch man

1 - 20 of 59 Posts