Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am surprised at how much my gas mileage dropped with the lower temperatures. I've seen about a 2-3 mpg drop. I've also noticed the car really dumps fuel in the engine during the first couple minutes of warm up. I can sure smell the high octane fuel behind the car. Does the BAMA 93 octane tune lean the start any?

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I am surprised at how much my gas mileage dropped with the lower temperatures. I've seen about a 2-3 mpg drop. I've also noticed the car really dumps fuel in the engine during the first couple minutes of warm up. I can sure smell the high octane fuel behind the car. Does the BAMA 93 octane tune lean the start any?
From what I remember before taking off the cats, so last winter, no. Car is still going to idle at a high rpm to warm the engine up. Also I think a few have noted, running the heater in the car decreases your gas mileage. I have noticed this on my 40 min drive to work. I get better MPG days I don't have the AC or heat running, and days it is freezing is when I drop slightly in MPG.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
dagerlach,

Our Bama Performance tunes, aren't designed for a lean cold start- just like the factory is not. You need the extra fuel when the engine is that cold to keep it running smooth until it warms up to operating temperature. Having a lean start could really starve your engine and cause surging or even stalling.

Fuel economy in cold weather- Keep in mind that cold brisk air is much more dense with oxygen and that your Mustang is always looking to run at a particular Air/Fuel ratio. So, if you add more oxygen to the mix, then the Air/Fuel ratio will be thrown off with too much air or "too lean." Your PCM will compensate for the addition oxygen/air with more fuel to get back to the commanded/desired Air/Fuel ratio. Thus, you'll use more fuel in colder weather because of the increased oxygen in the air.

If there's anything I need to clarify just let me know!

Shane

·
Registered
65 Posts
There is also winter gasoline that is used during winter or in colder climates which has a lower BTU content which will affect the rate and quality at which the fuel burns which affects gas mileage.

·
Registered
120 Posts
AMShaneLesky said:
dagerlach,

Our Bama Performance tunes, aren't designed for a lean cold start- just like the factory is not. You need the extra fuel when the engine is that cold to keep it running smooth until it warms up to operating temperature. Having a lean start could really starve your engine and cause surging or even stalling.

Fuel economy in cold weather- Keep in mind that cold brisk air is much more dense with oxygen and that your Mustang is always looking to run at a particular Air/Fuel ratio. So, if you add more oxygen to the mix, then the Air/Fuel ratio will be thrown off with too much air or "too lean." Your PCM will compensate for the addition oxygen/air with more fuel to get back to the commanded/desired Air/Fuel ratio. Thus, you'll use more fuel in colder weather because of the increased oxygen in the air.

Shane
Nice to know

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
AMShaneLesky said:
dagerlach,

Shane
Cold air is also more so difficult to travel through. As the molecules are more dense, and move less freely, it is more so difficult to cut through with our cars.

I am not saying that it is the only reason, just in addition.

Freeze safe fuel
Longer warm up times
Higher air density
Use of heaters

A lot of little things add up to make it suck lol
I made an upper grille block I have posted up here, decreases drag and increases warm up time. My engine temp on a 3 hour trip in 80 degrees never hit 220*, it is totally safe, you are welcome to check it out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There are so many factors that affect mileage it's impossible to blame just one. That's a great idea with your grill! If you notice a lot of the newer cars even the new dodge ram have variable Louvers on the grill that close or open depending on the conditions. And When these vehicles are running in winter the Louvers are near closed to allow for like you said less wind resistance and faster warm up times. Do you have pictures of your grill with the mod?

·
Registered
64 Posts
ALL cars will lose 2-3mpg during cold northern months. Fuel,air density, tire pressures are lower, etc.

Make sure your not running with your HVAC compressor cycling all the time. Climate control kills fuel economy. Always leave the heater control on vent (feet/legs/front) when you can. Pointing the air to the windshield will automatically turn on your compressor.

Run tire pressure around 34-36psi when cold (32* tire temp)

The BIGGEST factor is air density. Cutting through 20*F air at 75mph, takes about 3-5% more energy than cutting through 75*F air at the same speed..... Same reason why a golf ball will travel 15-25yds further through 90* air, than it will through 60* air.....

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
mtrsprt said:
ALL cars will lose 2-3mpg during cold northern months. Fuel,air density, tire pressures are lower, etc.

Make sure your not running with your HVAC compressor cycling all the time. Climate control kills fuel economy. Always leave the heater control on vent (feet/legs/front) when you can. Pointing the air to the windshield will automatically turn on your compressor.

Run tire pressure around 34-36psi when cold (32* tire temp)

The BIGGEST factor is air density. Cutting through 20*F air at 75mph, takes about 3-5% more energy than cutting through 75*F air at the same speed..... Same reason why a golf ball will travel 15-25yds further through 90* air, than it will through 60* air.....
It's more like 1%. Even at such a high speed, my predicted fuel estimate at the cold speed is like 22 mpg, while at higher temperature is only 24 ish.
EDIT:
this is wrong, not 1%, closer to 10%

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's more like 1%. Even at such a high speed, my predicted fuel estimate at the cold speed is like 22 mpg, while at higher temperature is only 24 ish.
Last time I checked, going from 24mpg to 22mpg, was actually closer to 8% loss actually..........

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Mine really didn't change but my car has a megasquirt ecu and it changes with the temp

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Mine had dropped noticeably. Last week I had 30 something miles in the tank and the needle mover off "F"

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
mtrsprt said:
Last time I checked, going from 24mpg to 22mpg, was actually closer to 8% loss actually..........
Yea, you are right, I wasn't paying attention. Ten percent of 24 is 2.4, so not doing math but paying attention is clearly within what you said lol

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
No, that would be incredible! 3.7 with 2.7X. Sorry if I misled, I don't realize sometimes that the thread is a GT forum sub category, and I just get involved with the talk.
haha that was why I asked. I was like Holy ****.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
nosympathy said:
haha that was why I asked. I was like Holy ****.
Haha, I hate to mislead, but I LOVE the way the 5.0 looks, with the fogs and front end...no offense to stock v6s, but they have the smiling mazda look for 2010-2012, my baby looks menacing to me.

I appreciate you GT guys, but I couldn't imagine what I would ever need 400+ hp for. No track or drag for me, just a daily driver.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts