Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, 'nother question, I feel like I'm becoming a regular here lol. How is wire loom for some engine dress up? I'm trying to dress up my underhood, I already have a MAC CAI [blue] so I want to coordinate everything around that. I am going to get a chrome oil cap, but I heard about wire loom and wanted to know about it/how to do it. Any other underhood suggestions would be nice too. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Hm..by wire loom do you mean just wire covers for all the wires in your hood? I probably don't know what I'm talking about lol. As far as being a regular, we'd take ya man, cmon over anytime.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah that's exactly what I'm talking about! Do you just get some loom from like, an auto store [what size do I need for my 97 3.8L?] and do you have to disconnect the wires to loop it over? I'm def. going to do this then, bc it's cheap and seems easy. My intake looks exactly like that so I think I'm going to do it in blue. I also, come spring time, am going to paint my calipers blue.

·
Registered
58 Posts
mustangmare said:
Yeah that's exactly what I'm talking about! Do you just get some loom from like, an auto store [what size do I need for my 97 3.8L?] and do you have to disconnect the wires to loop it over? I'm def. going to do this then, bc it's cheap and seems easy. My intake looks exactly like that so I think I'm going to do it in blue. I also, come spring time, am going to paint my calipers blue.
you can get some at Pep Boys for like $8, I have also seen it at Wal-Mart for much less.

They usually have a few different sizes, and different colors just choose the one that fits what you are covering.

No one sells dark red ones tho :cry: The bright red ones that most places sell would look teh gayness on my laser red engine bay.

you don't have to disconnect the wires, as the loom is split down the side, so you just slip it over the wires

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Yeh, I did my stereo and light wires in black just so the wires wouldn't be showing. Easy thing to do that makes a big difference

·
Registered
58 Posts
lowflyn said:
Yeh, I did my stereo and light wires in black just so the wires wouldn't be showing. Easy thing to do that makes a big difference
Yep.

Very nice cheap mod, I have done all the wiring on the inside of my computers with looms, as well as my audio and home theatre equipment.

Still haven't done my car yet tho, does anyone know of a company that makes wire looms in odd colors, like dark or metallic red? The regular bright red ones would look like hell in my engine bay, since it is laser red.

·
Registered
29 Posts
lowflyn said:
yep, that it does.

mustangmare, were you planning on entering your car for a show, or do you just want it too look clean? I would suggest the following if you want to add some bling to the engine: chrome oil cap, chrome strut tower covers, chrome strut tower brace, chrome windshield wahser cover, chrome brake fluid cover, chrome valve covers, chrome AMF (might as well upgrade while your at it), MSD 8.5mm red (or whatever color) spark plug wires, chrome fuse box cover. that should help to brighten up your engine quite a bit. if you really want to give it some contrast, use black loom, it'll really bring out the chrome.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
mysteed said:
yep, that it does.

mustangmare, were you planning on entering your car for a show, or do you just want it too look clean? I would suggest the following if you want to add some bling to the engine: chrome oil cap, chrome strut tower covers, chrome strut tower brace, chrome windshield wahser cover, chrome brake fluid cover, chrome valve covers, chrome AMF (might as well upgrade while your at it), MSD 8.5mm red (or whatever color) spark plug wires, chrome fuse box cover. that should help to brighten up your engine quite a bit. if you really want to give it some contrast, use black loom, it'll really bring out the chrome.
Also, a good cleaning does wonders.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
i had thought about getting the front radiator cover as the one above... what do you guys think i dont want alot of colors just chrome and that brading like stuff... i still cant decide if i like that stuff or not.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Anyone know of any companies that make wire looms in odd colors, like dark red or metallic red?
Taylor wiring off the top of my head. Summit Racing sells them.

i had thought about getting the front radiator cover as the one above... what do you guys think i dont want alot of colors just chrome and that brading like stuff... i still cant decide if i like that stuff or not.
Stay with chrome, black and pick one other color to break it all up. Like, blue couplings on the intake and blue ignition wires. Then all the chrome caps, chrome valve covers, and polish what you want. And then the braided hose kit with the blue coverings. That should make it look good.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
SpectorV said:
where can i order an actual chrome upper radiator hose to fit up to my car?
Any performance shop sells the flex chrome tubing. (Which I do not like because I've seen them come off and splash on expensive paint jobs.) For the actual chrome pipe, you'll have to hack and slash on a 5.0 kit to make it fit on yours. (Also, they might rust on the inside.)

The only kind I like is the steel braided hose kit that slides over the regular hose.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
i just dont want to look cheap... one of the other main reasons i have no messed with a chrome pipe is worry of corrosion... yall guys out there that dont change your coolant should definatly do it.... when i had mine flushed there were all sorts of little white things from teh aluminum parts and i change mine every winter....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts