Here's a diagram.

Attachments

·
Pete Jones
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trojan Horse said:
Here's a diagram.
So I have a positive ground? Sorry, not very wiring savvy. I was hit going to leave the fan grounded the eh I have it and ground the relay to the battery, but from the looks of it, I may need to so like this diagram suggests.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Which kit do you have for it I installed one in mine a couple weeks ago it works great. If u want I can post pics of all my connections and where I mounted everything.

·
Pete Jones
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
89 coupe said:
Follow the diagram it's pretty straight forward instruction.
I followed it but didn't work. I found a different one yesterday and it worked.

No kit, just a toggle switch with a relay wired into so I don't burn up the switch.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
So I have a positive ground? Sorry, not very wiring savvy. I was hit going to leave the fan grounded the eh I have it and ground the relay to the battery, but from the looks of it, I may need to so like this diagram suggests.
No that's not positive ground.
Positive ground is where the positive post of the battery is connected to the engine/frame and the negative side is used to power all of the components.

The diagram is just suggestive, you can get your power or grounds from wherever you have a place to get them as long as the power attaching point will provide sufficient amperage to run the fan.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
I followed it but didn't work. I found a different one yesterday and it worked.

No kit, just a toggle switch with a relay wired into so I don't burn up the switch.
Show me what you found and I can tell you why.

·
Pete Jones
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's what I found TH, drew a little picture for ya :D

85-12v from toggle switch
86-straight to ground
87-12v out to fan
30-12v from battery

Attachments

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Here's what I found TH, drew a little picture for ya :D

85-12v from toggle switch
86-straight to ground
87-12v out to fan
30-12v from battery
That's pretty much exactly the way my diagram showed it too. :good:

·
Pete Jones
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Trojan Horse said:
That's pretty much exactly the way my diagram showed it too. :good:
It's been working flawlessly all day and the switch never got the slightest bit hot, def a lot happier with the piece of mind. I even tested the the empty slots in my fuse panel again but no power was getting to them with the key on or off.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
It's been working flawlessly all day and the switch never got the slightest bit hot, def a lot happier with the piece of mind. I even tested the the empty slots in my fuse panel again but no power was getting to them with the key on or off.
The switch shouldn't get hot at all in this configuration. All you are pulling through it is the small amount of power it takes to activate the relay coil.

·
Pete Jones
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trojan Horse said:
The switch shouldn't get hot at all in this configuration. All you are pulling through it is the small amount of power it takes to activate the relay coil.
Yea, what I meant was compared to before when I just had it wired to the switch no relay.

I think when I followed your diagram before I didn't ground the relay or fan. I think I took the ground from the relay and plugged it into the fan so I ended up grounding the relay and fan seperate to get it to work. I think that was my problem.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Yea, what I meant was compared to before when I just had it wired to the switch no relay.

I think when I followed your diagram before I didn't ground the relay or fan. I think I took the ground from the relay and plugged it into the fan so I ended up grounding the relay and fan separate to get it to work. I think that was my problem.
Just explaining a bit as to why the switch should no longer heat up.
Did not intend to criticize your post. :good:
That would keep it from working. ;) :good:

·
Pete Jones
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Trojan Horse said:
Just explaining a bit as to why the switch should no longer heat up.
Did not intend to criticize your post. :good:
That would keep it from working. ;) :good:
No offense taken i knew what ya meant ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts