Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will probably sound weird! Has me baffled. 2002 GT 5 speed vert. Every time I fill up with gas won't run. It will start and then die. I have to keep it idled way up to get out of the parking lot. After 5-10 min it will run fine. And this only happens when I fill up with gas???? Any ideas?

·
Registered
68 Posts
vapor lock?
gas cap?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Probably has something to do with ur emissions system possible purge solenoid or evap canister id start checking a diagram of the evap system to see what could cause it to cut fuel off to it.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Fix...

1) Get hose.
2) Drain out 1/2 tank of gasoline.
3) Take car to nearest Ford Dealer.
4) Trade in Old Car for Newer Model.
5) Problem Fixed.

:good:

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
NewMtang said:
1) Get hose.
2) Drain out 1/2 tank of gasoline.
3) Take car to nearest Ford Dealer.
4) Trade in Old Car for Newer Model.
5) Problem Fixed.

:good:
Also bring $25,000 or a $800 note a month.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Scream said:
I have the same problem well similar are your running 93 like me?
Yeah running 93. Guess I'll talk to the ford mechanic and see of I can come up with anything. And my 16 yr old daughter drives this car. I don't like not knowing what the problem is.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Fatboy scott said:
Yeah running 93. Guess I'll talk to the ford mechanic and see of I can come up with anything. And my 16 yr old daughter drives this car. I don't like not knowing what the problem is.
My friend was wanting me to look in to maybe 93 isint good for the car i ignored it asked my dad he said it was prob throttle body or IAC

·
Registered
991 Posts
Scream said:
My friend was wanting me to look in to maybe 93 isint good for the car i ignored it asked my dad he said it was prob throttle body or IAC
You have to consider what variables are changing when the problem occurs. Filling the car with gas doesn't effect the IAC in any way, so i'd rule that out and focus on the back half of the car.

·
Registered
869 Posts
AgentOrange said:
You have to consider what variables are changing when the problem occurs. Filling the car with gas doesn't effect the IAC in any way, so i'd rule that out and focus on the back half of the car.
True but even after I fill up and get to about half a tank still has a rough idle sometimes

·
Registered
991 Posts
Scream said:
True but even after I fill up and get to about half a tank still has a rough idle sometimes
That is a strange issue. I'm guessing it is EVAP related. Does the car act like it has a vacuum leak?

·
Registered
869 Posts
AgentOrange said:
That is a strange issue. I'm guessing it is EVAP related. Does the car act like it has a vacuum leak?
Maybe .. If that means the RPM's are going up and down irregularly I'll be idling at say 1k drop to 600 then up to 1.5k sometimes it is weird

·
Registered
98 Posts
If its idling up and down you need to clean the idle control valve with carb cleaner. I had a similar problem. I cleaned the idle control and egr and it fixed my problem of the mustang turning on, staying on, then getting close to my destination starting to turn off. Also, clean the throttle intake, not body. Behind the intake build up from gas not being burned builds up. When your at a stop the intake has to be open a little to keep it idled but if has trouble doing so because of the build up. It took me some days to get mine back up. I used to put 93 on it and went to unlead after the problem. Try cleaning these parts it doesn't hurt to try.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I cleaned the idle air control valve helped a lol so after I just bought a hole new one. To clean the throttle intake do I need to get in to the throttle body itself?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Scream said:
I cleaned the idle air control valve helped a lol so after I just bought a hole new one. To clean the throttle intake do I need to get in to the throttle body itself?
To clean the throttle intake take off the CAI and its not necessary to take of the body but if you want you can I just took these screws of and there you have it. Make sure u unhook the response.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts