Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new Perfect Circle TC1921 Engine Piston STD Set Of 8 For Ford 351C Cleveland on eBay. They arrived today in the original box and still sealed. I was surprised to find the wrist pins stuck in the piston. I wasn’t expecting this since the press into the rod and should be freely moving in the piston. I’ve contacted the seller but thought I might get better help on the forums. Before I try to push these out with my press I want to make sure I’m on the right path.
Beige Wood Bag Shipping box Font

·
Administrator
699 Posts
I’m not personally sure, I’ve requested the opinion of a Tech-Expert to follow-up on your post. Please be patient while awaiting a reply.

Reactions: jdomke1

·
Tech-Expert
7 Posts
I am kind of bamfoozled by this after reading it a few times. Are the pins so tight in the pistons that they don't move?

That is not normal. It might be 'okay' if your rods were not press-fit, but with both the piston and rod end being tight, the piston can't even rock back and forth in the bore. That's going to cause problems.

Since you'd want to get them balanced anyway, maybe you could just have your machinist hone them to the proper clearance and resolve the problem.

·
Administrator
699 Posts
Another option is to return them for a refund and buy from somewhere else. I have to wonder if these tolerances are wrong, what else might be off a few thousandths as well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s a sealed box of 8 made by Perfect Circle. I was able to push one pin out by thumb. Once out it was like normal. Maybe the lubricant dried up after so many years. I can’t even find when Perfect Circle used to sell pistons. They got bought out by Mahle and now just rings.

·
Administrator
699 Posts
Perhaps you should soak them in a penetrating lubricant to ease them out. I’m guessing you are probably correct that the original packing lube has developed a sticky residue and this is the problem.

·
Tech Expert
3,051 Posts
Just soak 'em in kerosene, solvent or even gasoline overnight, maybe they'll move. I presume these are circlip retained?

·
Administrator
699 Posts
jdomke1

Come back and let us know when you get it all sorted out,

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
PB Blaster was my friend. You could see the original lube caked on. Cleaned off and a little 2000 grit sandpaper took off the rough spots. Thankfully no pitting. I’ve already got three in use. That’s all I needed. Now I’ve got 5 to sit around until the next project or sell off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Tech Expert
3,051 Posts
Great news....I guess you mean PB Blaster?

·
Administrator
699 Posts
Thanks for the update, and I’m glad it worked out. :)

Reactions: jdomke1
1 - 12 of 12 Posts