Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car to have the control arms dealt with and hadn't noticed this weird stuff on my wheels. When I rub my hand on it, it's rough and seems to be bonded to the wheel surface. I've got no clue what it is. Brake dust? Anybody know a decent wheel cleaner that's safe and takes this kind of stuff off? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
What kind of brake pads are you using?.. Reason I ask is because cheaper pads will usually leave residue like that!.. Also you might have a caliper ceasing up on you!..

Sent from the One and Only ME!..?

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
after you get it off apply wax to the rims to hopefully make it easier to clean nrxt time

·
Registered
79 Posts
P21 wheel cleaner is really safe but probably won't get all the embedded stuff off. I second the use of clay for this & wheel wax afterwards.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Almost looks like paint overspray. maybe try cleaning with a degreaser first then clay bar it. should come right off

·
Registered
321 Posts
Try an iron x type product that removes embedded rust... to me, like someone else said, looks like brake dust embedded in your wheel

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
It is iron oxide residue from brake pads for sure. Go very gently on cleaners. Ford really cheaped out on the paint and application on the standard wheels. They got better with the application of the three coat paint on the BBP wheels 13+.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts