Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,133 Posts
schmitty426 said:
So I have just bought an x pipe for my 04 GT and I know the passenger side was going to be a pain but I cannot get a good hold on either bolt and may have stripped on or both any ideas on what u have done to make this job any easier??
Use some liquid wrench that will help loosen it up and hit the bolt a few times. Since you stripped it you might need new bolts or try using a monkey wrench
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,004 Posts
Spray a bunch if PB Blaster on it and let it sit for a half hour. I ended up just taking out my starter to get to those bolts, however the starter can be a pain too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
So I have just bought an x pipe for my 04 GT and I know the passenger side was going to be a pain but I cannot get a good hold on either bolt and may have stripped on or both any ideas on what u have done to make this job any easier??
Take it to a pro, honestly, it's worth it. If you don't have the tools or the ability to get it done, or just can't get it to come off, it may be worth it just to pay someone whatever it will cost. If the bolts are stripped it might have to be cut off and replaced and or welded on anyway. In the end, what's it worth? I bet it's less than $100 to have the old cut out and the new welded in, then there's no joints or clamps to leak exhaust. If just cutting old bolts off, swapping the part, and bolting it up, might be really cheap...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JDF said:
Spray a bunch if PB Blaster on it and let it sit for a half hour. I ended up just taking out my starter to get to those bolts, however the starter can be a pain too.
I used a ton of PB blaster on it and nothin haha and I was thinkin about removing the starter but I guess I gotta leave it to the pros....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,004 Posts
schmitty426 said:
I used a ton of PB blaster on it and nothin haha and I was thinkin about removing the starter but I guess I gotta leave it to the pros....
Once you get the starter out it's easy to get the midpipe off. Are you using a 6 point or a 12 point socket?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,004 Posts
schmitty426 said:
I want to say it was a 6 point and afraid to use a 12 so It doesn't strip more then it might already have
Ok cool. Do you think you could get a picture of what the nuts are looking like?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Those bolts are a pain. When i have to remove them I get it real hot with a plumbers torch then use a special made socket I have just for that. Its just a regular deep well socket with about half an inch cut off of it so it will fit in there with a swivel on it. Had to do it the hard way once though, use a grinder and grind the nut off then when the midpipe was off had to grind off and drill out the rest of the bolt to replace it because it was welded/rusted on so bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,298 Posts
Be careful man I let somebody do my mid pipe he wasn't a pro and he broke my stud off on the passenger side so just don't force it too much
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
Found a buddy with an air gun and knocked er loose!!! Thanks everyone for their input!! It's greatly appreciated

In the future if you don't have an air gun, buy a torch for $25 bucks. It will save you with any exhaust or suspension bolts that are heavily rusted. First spray the bolt down well with PB blaster and let it soak for 10-15mins. Then get out the torch and get the bolt red hot. As soon as you take the torch off, try and get a socket on there. It should turn like butter after that. Just be careful not to catch any wires on fire or touch the bolt/nut that is hot!

Glad your buddy got it off though. Enjoy your new exhaust!

Shane
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
AMShaneLesky said:
In the future if you don't have an air gun, buy a torch for $25 bucks. It will save you with any exhaust or suspension bolts that are heavily rusted. First spray the bolt down well with PB blaster and let it soak for 10-15mins. Then get out the torch and get the bolt red hot. As soon as you take the torch off, try and get a socket on there. It should turn like butter after that. Just be care not to catch any wires on fire or touch the bolt/nut that is hot!

Glad your buddy got it off though. Enjoy your new exhaust!

Shane
Thanks for the tip! It's ungodly loud now with wide open throttle its insane can't even hear my music blaring! Lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
598 Posts
schmitty426 said:
Thanks for the tip! It's ungodly loud now with wide open throttle its insane can't even hear my music blaring! Lol
LOL. It sure is a great feeling the first drive you take with ur new o/r pipe. I smiled non stop the first week I had it lol. What cat back do you have?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JetLife 01GT said:
LOL. It sure is a great feeling the first drive you take with ur new o/r pipe. I smiled non stop the first week I had it lol. What cat back do you have?
Yeah its tough for me cuz I live in Minnesota and I store it every year and its getting close to storing time :( and my catback is Slp lm1's :)
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top